Stealing someone’s recipes

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by David Christopher, Aug 15, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Aug 18, 2019 #21

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I’ve never noticed that in my pumpkin soap. I blend it really well into my oils before adding my lye. So maybe my stick blender does a good job.

penelopejane likes this.
  2. Aug 18, 2019 #22

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I steam my pumpkin and then put it in a blender to blend it until it is very, very smooth. If I use too much water to get it smooth I heat on the stove top it until it is pretty dry. If you use that method you will avoid the fibres.

Mistrael and David Christopher like this.
  3. Aug 22, 2019 #23

David Gregory

David Gregory

David Gregory

Supporting Member

I've probably spent hours on a lye calculator [Thanks Wholesale Supplies Plus: The only one I found immediately easy to use] plugging in various oils in different combinations to discover aspects which gave: hardness, cleansing ability, bubbles, conditioning, low linoleic and linolenic [to avoid DOS and possibilities of rancidity developing].

It is said you can fill a room with monkeys and give each a typewriter and eventually they'll type out a novel [or a dart board with the stock exchange listings on it and they'll create a profitable hedge fund].

If I get lucky and find THE recipe, it won't be my own skills but chance. And I'll share it with everyone. Likelihood: zero. Hope: infinite.

Ook ook.

4. Aug 22, 2019 #24

Norine Holland

Norine Holland

Norine Holland

Bottom Line—- If you dont want it used, or sold, dont post it on an international web site. Its YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, not the readers. If someone wishes to use, or sell something I post, I consider it a compliment whether or not they credit me. There are only so many itterations of a recipe in the long run. You may think its “yours” when many have used a same recipe they did not read anywhere. Spending time being hurt benefits no one.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  5. Aug 22, 2019 #25

bookreader451

bookreader451

bookreader451

I use a lot of pumpkin (not in soap cause I am new at that) but boil it, throw it in a blender then line a strainer with coffee filter and set over a bowl, cover with plastic and let it sit. It is smooth and creamy but not watery at all.

6. Aug 24, 2019 #26

David Christopher

David Christopher

David Christopher

I totally gotcha .. I feel the same way .. but I just wanted to hear from some of y’all experienced soap monkeys

Thanks will do ... Pumpkin is one of my favorites

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2019
    Mistrael, Kari Howie and penelopejane like this.
  7. Aug 28, 2019 #27

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I don't use the soap calcs to work out a good recipe because they aren't very reliable especially for Olive oil soap. A better method of calculating the various aspects of soap is to use DeeAnna's method listed in her notes.

There are lots of free, excellent recipes in the last 5 pages of the forum. It is a matter of finding one suitable to your skin and your own personal preferences. Good luck.

Mistrael and Saponificarian like this.
  8. Aug 28, 2019 #28

Saltwater Scented

Saltwater Scented

Saltwater Scented

Where might that be listed? I'm loving the amount of information to learn from here.

Mistrael likes this.
  9. Aug 29, 2019 #29

Aquamarine56

Aquamarine56

Aquamarine56

I would not be advocating online the merits of not using a lye calculator, especially for newbies, of which there would be many on this site. It's best to be safe and if you find a soap recipe online, it is still safest to run it through your calculator to check the ingredients and measurements.

Mistrael and Saltwater Scented like this.
  10. Aug 29, 2019 #30

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Here you go! A lot of awesome information for making soapy stuff.

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp

11. Aug 31, 2019 #31

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Aquamarine56, I believe penelopejane was saying that lye calculators are not good for developing a good recipe. I do not believe she meant to infer that one should not use a lye calculator for figuring out how much lye is required once a good recipe is formulated using guidelines as indicated in DeeAnna's soapy stuff articles.

Repeatedly, people here say to run a revised, borrowed, or new recipe through a lye calculator to be sure the amount of lye being used is correct. PJ is one of those people, and so is DeeAnna.

penelopejane and Mobjack Bay like this.
  12. Sep 16, 2019 #32

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

You are right. Every recipe should be run through a calculator.

What I was saying, as Earlene confirmed was that "the numbers" that come out of calculators relating to conditioning, hardness etc do not work very well, especially for me because I use high olive oils soaps. Lye calculator "numbers" don't take into account that OO soaps become very, very hard after a long cure.

Mistrael and Kari Howie like this.
  13. Sep 16, 2019 #33

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

If a recipe has been posted online, it is being freely given and thus you are not stealing (take [another person's property] without permission or legal right) it.

14. Sep 16, 2019 #34

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I think the specific article on my website that relates to this discussion is this -- https://classicbells.com/soap/soapCalcNumbers.asp

I think most of us would agree it would be very difficult to prove a particular soap recipe is utterly owned by one person. But taken in a broad sense, the advice "if you can find it online, it's fair game to take" may violate copyright laws and if so, yes, that is stealing.

Online intellectual property is protected by copyright unless a person explicitly gives up copyright protection by stating the info is in the public domain or otherwise by clearly relinquishing ownership. You don't have to have the (c) mark or copyright statements plastered everywhere for copyright protection to exist.

For public forums like this one, people may waive their rights to copyright protection if they post comments on the forum. The Terms of Service for a public site should address that issue of whether comments are owned by the poster or by the forum or are in the public domain -- it can vary.

I have put a large number of informational articles on my website, and I can and do maintain my copyright protection for these online resources. I would be (and have been) greatly peeved to have some stranger take my intellectual property without my permission. Makes no difference whether it's an article on my website or in hardcopy form. I know people do this, but it isn't legal, nor do I like it.

Mistrael, penelopejane and cmzaha like this.
  15. Sep 17, 2019 at 5:01 AM #35

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

I think we have a bit of a miscommunication here.

Copyright law has nothing to do with USING a recipe you found online...regardless of whether you are making soap, cookies or white chicken chili (yum).

When it comes to recipes and copyright in the U.S., the law is very clear that copyright does not protect recipes, “That are mere listings of ingredients,” However, it can, “Extend to to substantial literary expression – a description, explanation, or illustration, for example – that accompanies a recipe or formula…”

What this means is that the basics of a recipe are not copyright protected. The list of ingredients and the actual steps that one takes to complete it are not protectable as they are mere facts and formulas. However, the expression of that recipe can be protected, especially if there is a literary description, images, illustrations or other elements along with the recipe.

See 17 U.S.C. 102(b)

Mistrael and bookreader451 like this.
  16. Sep 17, 2019 at 1:46 PM #36

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

You wrote -- "....Copyright law has nothing to do with USING a recipe you found online...."

Nope, no miscommunication. I understood what you were saying and acknowledged your point in my previous post --

"...I think most of us would agree it would be very difficult to prove a particular soap recipe is utterly owned by one person...."

I just took it a little further to make my own point --

"...But taken in a broad sense, the advice "if you can find it online, it's fair game to take" may violate copyright laws and if so, yes, that is stealing....

Mistrael likes this.
  17. Sep 19, 2019 at 12:43 AM #37

Mistrael

Mistrael

Mistrael

Arthritis cream? What type(s) of arthritis? One of my friends has RA and might be interested in anything that could help.

18. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:39 AM #38

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Please feel free to contact me, @Mistrael. Click on my avatar, choose "Start conversation" and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. ;)