Starting on # 9! A&F Fierce

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niclycha

Reaction score
I'm so happy that I'm not without LYE but it's such a pain because of all the static. ..I got these bottles from Bulk Apothecary, 8 lbs for $16 and shipping was fast, so I'm dealing lol. Anyways... just chose my colors (blues black and white ) and FO
Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce , did my lye water, measured and combined my oils, melting my lard now, and waiting for my lye to cool. I figured I'd make another batch THEN I should be able to unmold and cut my rainbow soap from last night. So here is the beginning of my colors I'm using

Done! The 2 BEAUTIFUL micas from TKB turned to 2 of the weirdest colors I've ever seen. So I had to stop and mix some different colors to make 2 MORE different blues, I'm not using anything but Nurture Soap Supplies, the same thing happened with the EMERALD GREEN that turned GREY. No more TKB micas for me.
So then my soap thickened so much playing with the colors agh. Hopefully it will change back to its normal color, if not this soap it going to be a WEIRD color lol.

Dang forgot to add the pics

2nd pic is the colors it turned to

4th is Nurture Soap saving my soap lol. After I mixed up some more micas
Oh also about to cut the rainbow soap yay. Fingers crossed that it turned out OK
Oh!!! And I just got a ups update, my Slab mold will be home with me TOMORROW YAAAAAY!

1463544322398.jpg

1463553632281.jpg

1463553652205.jpg

1463553664316.jpg

1463553680538.jpg

1463553698876.jpg

1463553711189.jpg

The cut!! I will call it ....
FIERCE CAMO
I should have banged it down longer. Got a few air pockets but it cane out OK, well now I know how to make CAMOUFLAGE SOAP
I was figuring that's how it was going to look.

THAT is some seriously beautiful soap! I adore those blues, and the splash of black is right on. I hope you can warm up to colorants quicker and easier than I have....I am still experimenting with them, and unfortunately it always seems that I have to make a switcheroo at the last minute while the batter thickens. But your Fierce Camo was a brilliant save! Good job!

Good-looking save! :)

RE: TKB micas- some are great, but others just aren't compatible with the higher pH of lye-based soap. You can't go wrong with Nurture's colorants, though, since she tests them all in CP.

niclycha said:
I'm so happy that I'm not without LYE but it's such a pain because of all the static.

Two words: dryer sheets. Before opening your bottle of lye and pouring it out to weigh, take a dryer sheet and rub it all over the outside of the lye bottle, and for good measure you can also swipe it around the inside of the container you are pouring the lye into if you desire. No more static. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Two words: dryer sheets. Before opening your bottle of lye and pouring it out to weigh, take a dryer sheet and rub it all over the outside of the lye bottle, and for good measure you can also swipe it around the inside of the container you are pouring the lye into if you desire. No more static. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

Amazing!! I will put a box in the bucket next to my NaOH bottle so I don't forget this wonderful tip.

I tried the dryer sheets, I thought about buying some static guard spray with the bottle closed tight spraying a little to calm it down
It could have been the clear plastic cups I poured it into that made more static too.

Beautiful soap!

Re: the static. I don't use dryer sheets. In fact I don't use fabric softener at all. I wonder what else would work. I tried shaking before opening the top, and did not see that as working. What I do now is to cup one hand over the top of the lye bottle while pouring with the other hand. This does cut down on some of the lye crystals jumping out all over the place, but I still get them on the outer surface of the lye bottle. The next thing I do is carry it to the sink & wipe it down over the sink to contain those lose crystals, then wipe down the scale & surrounding area where I weighed the lye before continuing on with the soap preparation. I think going to the masterbatching lye is my next step to try and decrease how often I have to weigh out the crystals.

I'll try some different ones then, maybe mine didn't work because they were the cheap ones lol. I'll try a different brand

Ha. I made BANNER of Facebook group
Shout out to cold process & hot process soap. With this one lol, the one that didn't come out like I planned. Goes to show that other people see beauty in one's mistakes. Lol

Beautiful soap!

Re: the static. I don't use dryer sheets. In fact I don't use fabric softener at all. I wonder what else would work. I tried shaking before opening the top, and did not see that as working. What I do now is to cup one hand over the top of the lye bottle while pouring with the other hand. This does cut down on some of the lye crystals jumping out all over the place, but I still get them on the outer surface of the lye bottle. The next thing I do is carry it to the sink & wipe it down over the sink to contain those lose crystals, then wipe down the scale & surrounding area where I weighed the lye before continuing on with the soap preparation. I think going to the masterbatching lye is my next step to try and decrease how often I have to weigh out the crystals.

OR, you can buy a small box of dryer sheets specifically for your NaOH and re-use them (beg some off of a friend?). Thanks to kchaystack, I ended up buying one of those fancy buckets with the gamma lid to store my NaOH bottle in. I threw few dryer sheets in it when I read this cool tip. I'll probably get several uses off of one sheet before I have to toss it. Where ever you store you NaOH bottle, you can store your sheets. Maybe put them in a baggie and tape it to the bottle if you don't have a "fancy" bucket?

I tried the dryer sheets, I thought about buying some static guard spray with the bottle closed tight spraying a little to calm it down
It could have been the clear plastic cups I poured it into that made more static too.

OR, you can buy a small box of dryer sheets specifically for your NaOH and re-use them (beg some off of a friend?). Thanks to kchaystack, I ended up buying one of those fancy buckets with the gamma lid to store my NaOH bottle in. I threw few dryer sheets in it when I read this cool tip. I'll probably get several uses off of one sheet before I have to toss it. Where ever you store you NaOH bottle, you can store your sheets. Maybe put them in a baggie and tape it to the bottle if you don't have a "fancy" bucket?

As it turns out, when I was moving things around in the cupboards above my washing machine this morning, I realized I do have a bottle of spray on anti-static stuff that my MIL had in her house. I brought it home with me, about 2 years ago when they sold their house & moved into assisted living, and there it's been ever since. So I decided to give it a try and Wow, it works great!

I sprayed it onto a bit of paper towel and wiped down the outside of the lye bottle & lid, as well as the paper cup for weighing the lye. The only static that I seemed to have was a bit later when I poured the lye from the paper cup into the liquid to make the lye solution, and that was only on the lip of the cup where the lye actually pours over the edge. Next time, I may use a bit more around the lip of the cup.

I like the idea of the bucket & gamma lid. I just have to figure out where I would store something that large. Next time I am in the cities, I plan to stop by Home Depot and take a look at them.

Back