Starter kit for container candles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
It has been suggested I try a starter kit for my first candles. I want to try containers.

Can anyone suggest a good kit/company? I have read both to try a craft store kit and also NOT to do so, so I'd like some input from those with experience.

Dana

I personally would not waste my my $$ on a craft store kit.

Have you decided what kind of wax you want to use? Also, look to see if there are suppliers near you to help save on shipping. If they offer a kit with the type of wax you want to work with, then I'd buy from there to start with. You will have to really decide for yourself what you like since we all have such varying opinions. But start first with suppliers nearest you. If you let us know which state you live in, we can recommend some good suppliers near you.

Hi, thanks for replying. :)

I've never made a candle before so I have no idea in regards to type of wax... :shock:
Well, I made some candles in girl scouts but that was about 30 years ago... :wink:

I'm in FL if that helps with suppliers.

I really appreciate your help!

Dana

Tayloredconcepts.com has kits.

I don't do candles (I did a couple hundred 5 years or so ago) so I don't know how their kits compare price wise.

I agree though a kit may be a waste of money. I would get on the phone with a supplier and have them gather the items you need to make a small batch.

In a kit you may be required to buy pour pots, scales, double boilers & other items you really may not need in the long run.

Thanks :) I ended up gathering supplies and making my own "starter kit" from Candle Science (nice folks!)
My 1st test candles are burning as I write this....FUN!!
Thanks for the links,
Dana

All FO are from CS...... I am burning:

Clean Cotton

Sun Dried Linen

Rain Water

Ocean Breeze

... all clean, yummy scents! :) Burn tests are going well, most of the wick testing is on the Clean Cotton as I got over-eager and poured the others before my 1st test burn was finished lol.

Thanks,
Dana

Not until I get the proper technique down.....apparently there is quite a science to getting the right wax/FO/wick/container combo so that it burns properly! :oops:
People on another forum would blast me out of the universe for trying to give away or sell candles without a year or two experience under my belt, lol!
That said, I'll be giving I hope a few away after I get a few more trials under my belt........

Thanks

Dana

We discourage *blasting* here, saftey is VERY important though.

Very much so ... and actually I'm finding the whole wicking/burn testing thing very interesting! :lol:
Thanks,
Dana

Dana said:
Not until I get the proper technique down.....apparently there is quite a science to getting the right wax/FO/wick/container combo so that it burns properly! :oops:
People on another forum would blast me out of the universe for trying to give away or sell candles without a year or two experience under my belt, lol!
That said, I'll be giving I hope a few away after I get a few more trials under my belt........

Thanks

Dana

I don't think there is anything wrong with having folks test for you but too often on these boards, you find someone that is full of questions and problems one day, and selling the next. I think what drives this is the concern for yours and your customer's safety as well as protecting the name of any small time chandler. But if you know that you've done your homework and are comfortable with your product and its safety, then go for it. And this process does not always takes years. Only you know when you are ready to sell. Always remember to have fun otherwise it is not worth it no matter how much testing you have done.

Thanks for your thoughts and I totally agree.....and for myself I still feel I have a lot to learn, am enjoying the process, and I want to make not only a superior product but a safe one :)

thanks

dana

Ok so let me get this straight...you are not supposed to read a recipe on the internet one day, make the product that night with your "Michaels" supplies, and try to open a store the next day???? Is that right?? HMMMMMM I thought I was missing something :)

JUST KIDDING TOO MUCH COFFEE THIS MORNING!!!!!!

dragonfly princess said:
Ok so let me get this straight...you are not supposed to read a recipe on the internet one day, make the product that night with your "Michaels" supplies, and try to open a store the next day???? Is that right?? HMMMMMM I thought I was missing something :)

JUST KIDDING TOO MUCH COFFEE THIS MORNING!!!!!!

LOL I saw a young gal at a show I did this weekend and that looks exactly what she had. Her wicks were off center, the tops had dips and looked horrible - no second pour and the wax looked like cheapo wax from a craft store. I'm not one to make fun or look down on folks since I know we all start somewhere but I was truly embarrassed for her.

Back