Starter CP kit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitMommyOf2

Reaction score
Browsing through Bitter Creek yesterday I saw this CP starter kit and was wondering what you CPers say to that. Is that a good thing (price wise etc.) for someone who likes to try out CPing?
Would I use up all of the oils or could I actually make more batches? :oops:

Or is it really cheaper to start out with a real simple CP recipe like the Crisco one? (My hubby can make me a wooden mold so I guess I'd already save some $ on that :lol: )

Here's the kit, so you all know what I'm talking about :wink:
http://tinyurl.com/2hkofc

ell, I am not a CPer, I have made a few batches & I just used lined a cheap bread pan from the dollar store for my mold!

Umm I am not sure if they will mail that to you because of the lye.
Its kinda expensive to me.

I used Bitter Creek North many times when I was making candles, good supplier. Bitter Creek South in Texas if that is closer to you. I have never done M&P so I can't help there, but I can give you a really decent recipe with ingredients you can get at Wal Mart if you want! Don't worry about CP soaping. Take your time, use precautions, respect the lye, all is good. I fell in love with CP just over 2 years ago, and especially Goat Milk based CP soaps, and never looked back. I did ruin a few batches at first, but that is what learning is all about. Come on in, the "water" (soapmaking) is fine! LOL

Paul.... :wink:

Tabitha said:
ell, I am not a CPer, I have made a few batches & I just used lined a cheap bread pan from the dollar store for my mold!
Really? Was it a flexible one? From what I've read it's hard to get CP soap out of molds that aren't flexible or wood? *dunno*

I'm less worried about the mold as my Hubby could easily make me one (he loves working with wood so I'm sure he'd love a new project :wink: ) but more about the other items; i.e. if they're worth the price? It would be convenient 8)

I lined it w/ wax paper & just pulled it out with the paper that hung over the edges.

Soapmaker Man said:
I used Bitter Creek North many times when I was making candles, good supplier. Bitter Creek South in Texas if that is closer to you. I have never done M&P so I can't help there, but I can give you a really decent recipe with ingredients you can get at Wal Mart if you want! Don't worry about CP soaping. Take your time, use precautions, respect the lye, all is good. I fell in love with CP just over 2 years ago, and especially Goat Milk based CP soaps, and never looked back. I did ruin a few batches at first, but that is what learning is all about. Come on in, the "water" (soapmaking) is fine! LOL

Paul.... :wink:

Paul,
thanks for your input! :D I'd love to know your 'Wal Mart' CP soap recipe! :wink:
So far I've found 2 that seem to require litte ingredients; the Crisco recipe aswell as a plain olive oil one...

By now I'm even less afraid of the lye than about investing into so many different oils and then possibly realizing that CPing is nothing for me... And yes, I admit, I'm afraid of ruining and entire batch.. :oops: (We don't have the $ to allow me many mistakes.. unfortunately.. With the M&P I basically experiment with max. 6 oz..)

You can't ruin a batch of CP can you? I know it can be butt ugly, but it'll still work right?

Back