Star San 2021

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
Well, I bought my Star San in July 2019 and I have just cracked it open to use. I guess this whole time I've just been a little bit dirty? I thought I knew what I was doing from my previous research and reading the label, but have a concern: when I soak the bottles in SS solution and then drain, there are bubbles left in the bottle. The HomeBrew forum says "Don't fear the bubbles, mate" so I guess if it's safe enough for beer bottles, it's ok for my hair serum containers (my own use, not selling or giving)?
But....just wanted to check.
Process is: plunge, let sit 5 min, pull out, drain, let air dry? Don't mind the bubbles?

thanks!!

I've never done soaking in Star San, usually a spray bottle and 10 minute wait.

Thanks @Tara_H ...how do you ensure that you cover all surfaces inside the bottles though?
(the bubbles were persistent and weren't breaking, even after shaking and turning the bottles in different directions, so I got impatient and blew into the bottle with a hair dryer. That burst the bubbles and presumably dried everything as well)

You do need to give them a thorough soaking! When I say spray bottle I'm not taking about a fine mist, I just drench them. Actually for the inside of bottles particularly I have a gadget for it: Bottle Drainer - 45 Bottle Rotating (Red)

This is the tree with the rinser that I use, I'm not sure if something like this is overkill for your purpose though.

I've still got the bottle drainer from when the kids were babies, but we use it by the main sink, since it's so useful for drying dishes. Hmmm I don't remember it being that cheap....maybe it's worth buying one for the soap kitchen. This one has lasted 14 years, so I know it's durable...and I do have some soap moulds in my cart that won't be free shipping without another purchase....sorry, just thinking about loud here.
Thanks @Tara_H ...

I picked one up at the Goodwill (second-hand store) for song just for that purpose. A slightly different style, but it works all the same.

1618234541005.png

....maybe it's worth buying one for the soap kitchen.
To be clear, since I'm not sure it was obvious from my previous post, I also have the attachment:
https://www.homebrewwest.ie/bottle-rinser-avvinatore-red-139-p.asp
It sits on top and basically you pump the bottle up and down on it and it fountains up the Star San solution into the bottle. Depending on the volume you need to do, it may be worth looking at something similar. For brewing I'm bottling 5 gallons at a time so it saves a lot of hassle!

To be clear, since I'm not sure it was obvious from my previous post, I also have the attachment:
https://www.homebrewwest.ie/bottle-rinser-avvinatore-red-139-p.asp
It sits on top and basically you pump the bottle up and down on it and it fountains up the Star San solution into the bottle. Depending on the volume you need to do, it may be worth looking at something similar. For brewing I'm bottling 5 gallons at a time so it saves a lot of hassle!
I love learning about gadgets from you!! I need one...surely.

My uncles who make wine have those rinsers and they're great, especially for big bottles. Given that I purchased my StarSan almost 2 years ago and finally got around to using it on one 60mL bottle yesterday, I'm going to put myself solidly in the rinse and wait camp.....:p

Latest posts

Back