Standard palm free vegetarian recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapSuds

Reaction score
Hi
I've been checking options for swapping out palm oil in a basic recipe with coconut oil (76) and shea butter but am wondering what would be good proportions. I've noted that coconut oil will help with hardening / lather whilst shea will aid moisturising. Thought of a standard 60 / 20 / 20 % split for olive / coconut / shea. Would this be ok as a first off ? Suggestions welcome.

Most of my recipes have at least 60% unsaturated fats and they are generally around 65% unsaturated. Yours is 65% so that should be very good. If I make sure the soap goes through gel I can unmold and cut in 24 hours no problem. I've used soap after 4 weeks and it's very nice but even better after 6 weeks.

With that recipe, will most definitely need a longer cure. Shea can help with a harder bar but you will have a softer bar for a while thanks to shea + all that olive oil. After 3 months, that should be a reasonably harder bar.

Back