Stand mixer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Reaction score
I'm wondering how many people have used a stand mixer for making soap. I'm going to do another thread soon specifically about my bf deciding he hated making soap, after investing a ton of money and purchasing TWO doman names (he changed his mind once) so that the domain name he wanted was available when he was ready to sell. But now I have the issue of needing some supplies if I want to continue making soap on my own... The most expensive being a stick blender. And since I'm ALSO out of lye, I definitely can't afford a stick blender right now.

So I've got some ideas for temporary use. One, use my stand mixer. One issue with that is its a vintage sunbeam mixmaster, so I don't want to make it so I can't use the beaters for food. They're stainless steel though, so I should still be able to use it for food? I only have egg beaters and dough hooks for it. I was thinking I'd use one instead of two for soap, which would be better to use? And also I don't want to ruin the bowls, so I'll have to make sure I can stick a cheap plastic bowl under it for use. As a vintage stand mixer, the way it normally works is the outermost beater has a vinyl knob on the bottom that spins the bowl. So I figure Id use the inner beater, stick a soap bowl under it, and use one hand to move the batter around with a spatula while the beater goes on the slowest setting.

Another option, is I do have a power drill so seeing if I can pick up a small, cheap, paint mixer end for it. But I'm doubtful this would work due to the weight of the drill and issues I have in my hands and arms. I have a dremel but my bf says it would break the dremel to have a long enough paint stirrer attachment.

I'm not sure how long I'd be doing this, and I don't make soap daily or anything. I had only been soaping at my bfs place, I'll now be planning on soaping at home in the garage. I'll also have to buy new soaping supplies from the dollar most likely, I doubt my bf will let me take everything. He's debating still making things like aftershave and lotions so I know he's keeping the fragrances and butters he's purchased for that, and will probably want the bowls and spatulas too.

I just don't want to suddenly not be able to soap for ages. Especially since I've got a bunch of recipes I'm currently working on, and as soon as I get all the feedback on the ones that have been passed out I want to repeat the batches with any changes. I have some of my own spatulas, large measuring cups, and borrowed scale. So a couple large bowls, spoons, lye pitcher, and something to mix/blend with and I should be good for a while. I will be keeping an eye on craigslist and local goodwills.

You could also look at something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007KQY7G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Basically you put the drill in there and leave it in there. Pull the leaver like a granny in Vegas and it moves down to drill - or in your case, mix soap. I think I'd prefer than to my stick blender to be honest!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, thanks for the suggestion but I'm sure I'll have 15 bucks for a stick blender sooner than purchasing something like that! And space wise it would not work for me at all. Even soaping in the garage the space is extremely limited. I plan on using the top of a dog crate stored in there as my table. There's just enough space to move through the garage, no more. There was even less where people had to climb over things to access anything that wasn't reachable from the isle going door to freezer, but it was finally cleaned somewhat a couple months ago.

Stand mixers can splatter the batter pretty bad, I would recommend not using it. Do you have a hand held mixer? They work ok if you are careful.

You can pick up a cheap stick blender for around $20 at walmart or watch the thrift stores. I picked up a second ST for $4.

Try freecycle, if you put up a wanted add there may be someone with an old stick blender knocking about in their kitchen cupboards that they will let you have.

I'll try freecycle, unfortunately I've never had luck with the one here. There aren't many people on the list. I used to get and give loads of stuff through freecycle when I lived in Lafayette. There were so many posts there that you had to have it set to email each new one and reply IMMEDIATELY as you read the post, and still get beaten out 3/4 of the time lol.

Yea, I'm really wanting this one from walmart for 20. I nearly bought it before christmas, but I'm glad I didn't because some stuff came up and I only had just enough money to handle it. There's another thats 15 on amazon with free shipping through prime and my roommates have amazon prime, so I may buy that one instead to save the 5 bucks whenever I can afford it. But its probably going to be a while, at least a month.

I don't have a hand mixer. My stand mixer can be used as one, but its much too heavy for me to do so.

Go ahead and try your stand mixer then, just don't turn it up too high and watch for splattering. If it has a shield, use it or try and rig something up to keep the splatter contained.

There are tons of buy sell trade groups on Facebook around here. Offer to trade some soap for household type supplies you need, then you can save your money for lye.

No, I don't. I actually was looking at that stuff the other day haha. But my only blender is one that has the multiple small cups that attach, and all but one cup got lost in a move. I bought a blender from goodwill last summer and it only ran once before the motor cut out.

I was thinking it would probably be easier to find a regular blender at goodwill, so I was googling how to make it in a blender. Read some threads from this site, and a couple pages talking about making soap in a blender. But even with a full size blender they recommend 16 oz to be the MOST soap to do safely, plus of course the added safety risks in general, so I decided I'd rather not spend money on a blender and wait a little longer to afford a stick blender.

I'm not interested in making anyone elses recipes, I've got my own that I'm working on. Thats what I really enjoy about making my own soap vs having purchased it. Technically I've never made someone elses recipes lol. My first batch I started with the soaping 101 bastile but tweaked it because I didn't have castor oil. And every soap since has been my own recipe. I want to spend my time perfecting them, not copying someone elses. I also enjoy making a new recipe for every soap idea vs having one base recipe and changing up the additives. I'm trying to achieve something specific with the additives I choose, and so the oils and percentages I choose to go with it are for that same purpose.

Last edited:
I don't know who would want to buy the soap from me or could afford to either right now really! My close friends got soap from me for christmas lol. I don't have many acquaintances or local friends currently. I'm not able to work right now so I don't really meet people or make friends easily. I've lost touch with some of my local friends. My closest friends are ones who I no longer live near but stay in touch with online and by phone. And most of them aren't much better off than I am financially!

With the suggestion of finding a swap group, I did just post to craigslist though saying I was looking for a stick blender to make soap and can trade soap for it. I don't really have much worth selling/trading other than what I just made the other day though which needs to cure, and a few small bars from the christmas stuff. I posted to the Indianapolis freecycle, and also am trying to join the bloomington one to post. But I'll only be here a few more days so hopefully I get approved as a member fast. There are some things I need when I first get some extra cash, ones my bf was going to buy for me but he lost his job so couldn't. He actually didn't want me to buy one when I was going to, didn't understand why I needed one when we were borrowing his moms for soap and he said she probably would never need it to ask for it back (I asked if she was ok with it being used for soap and not food!) But I wanted my own for at home, plus I really want one with the whisk attachment since my stand mixer doesn't have whisk attachments (vintage sunbeam mixmaster, never made whisks for it).

Well... My problem is solved! A forum member just sent me a message saying she wanted to send me an extra stick blender that she doesn't use. I don't know if she would want me to say her name so I guess I'll leave that up to her.

But, lots of great ideas in this thread!!! So I hope it helps the next person thats in my situation, be it needing their own first stick blender, replacing a broken stick blender, etc.

Latest posts

Back