Stamping soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhelen

Reaction score
Experienced soap stampers: do you have any tips for a really clean stamp? Do you rub your stamp with anything? How long do you let the soap after unmolding before stamping? Do certain recipes give an easier stamp? Do you press the stamp in to the soap or use a mallet? My stamp is locally made but similar to the Laser cutz stamp. It's new, and I seem to get 1 good one and 3 messy.

Spray the stamp with isopropyl alcohol, use a rubber mallet if you have one (I use a regular small hammer), and the best time to stamp is 3-5 days after cutting, while it's still in the hard-cheese phase but not super dry and cured.
You can also spray the stamp, then dip it in a mica for shimmer. A paper towel wrapped around your finger and sprayed with alcohol will clean up any sparkle that gets onto other parts of the soap.

I agree with Grumpy Owl. I have a rather intricate business logo stamp that is detailed. I find it best to wait a couple days after cutting to stamp and yes, spraying the stamp with alcohol does give a much cleaner stamp (water doesn't work so well). I'm a little iffy with mica though because I'm finding that some Micas produce DOS on my soaps when I use them in stamping; more specifically, the culprit seems to be any gold micas. I don't use a mallet, but that's because I have detail work on the other side that would get smashed. I hold the soap in the palm of my hand and press the stamp carefully in. You may find the result nicer by dipping your soap in warm water and then letting it dry before stamping. This also gives the soap a bit of shininess:)
Best,
Anna Marie

Thanks GrumpyOwl and AnnaMarie, I will try those tips. I guess I have been trying to stamp them too late so they are already quite hard. I would guess with a salt soap you could stamp it as soon as you unmold?

I do not stamp my salt soaps, but yes, I would stamp those when cut as they turn rock hard so quickly:)
Best,
Anna Marie

Don't wiggle or rock the stamp once it's in your soap. Press straight down, remove it strait up. Rocking makes the stamp work like a pry bar and will mess up the image.

Back