Stamping Burlap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a rubber stamp (or any type) to stamp your logo/name on pieces of burlap? How well did it work? What process did you use?

I think stamping on burlap would be a bit difficult. I use burlap on my display table and it's kind of rough and fibery so making it difficult to get a crisp clear stamp maybe.

Well, I wonder what type of fabric would give a rough/rustic look and still allow for a crisp stamp. For clarification, I was thinking of wrapping a a pre-stamped band of burlap (or whatever material) around the soap like a cigar band.

Seems I have stopped using google. I get an idea related to soap (or potentially related to soap) and I run here to see if it's been done before. lol. Anyway, after googling my question I found that in order to get the crisp clear stamp on burlap, you have several options:

1. use a mix of acrylic and stamping paint (not ink); or just acrylic paint.
2. paint the area that you will be stamping with acrylic paint before stamping.
3. use rough canvas for a similar type of look, but with a fabric with a tighter weave (easier to stamp)

Apologies for bothering y'all with something that my befuddled mind could have found the answer to just by using google.

When I read the initial post I was going to suggest using paint rather than ink! I love it when Google validates my ideas :p

Well, at least we all now know that it can possibly done. For me it would be a lot of work. But smaller purposes I think it would be lovely. You'll have to share if you give it a try.

I don't think it's a bother. This is something I never would have even wondered about, so I wouldn't have Googled it. But now I know!

I've seen soap wrapped with a wide section of burlap then a cigar bad over that. Gives a nice rustic look while providing a area for a proper label. Might not be quite what you are looking for but its a option if stamping the burlap doesn't work out.

While reading this I thought if you used something like canvas, you could probably use an iron on transfer. It would give you the ability to design the band the way you want on your computer, then you could transfer it to the fabric.

For me it would be easier than stamping, which takes some practice to get right. Also you could probably fit at least 4-5 to a page.

I think it is great that you brought this up. There is nothing wrong with brainstorming among your peers!

Patrick, have you ever ordered from Mad Oils? They use muslin bags stamped with their logos for their goodie bags. They are extremely thoughtful about their packaging - the best in the business, IMO - it might not get much better than that. I just looked at one, it looks like some kind of ink, but I'm not good a identifying that stuff. If you order from them you might want to ask what they use, the owner, Joanna, is super nice about responding. I really liked their labels, espec. for oils (no running/seeping/discoloration) and was curious about how they came out so nicely, she included a little hand written note in my order telling me where she sourced them.

Patrick, have you ever ordered from Mad Oils? They use muslin bags stamped with their logos for their goodie bags. They are extremely thoughtful about their packaging - the best in the business, IMO - it might not get much better than that. I just looked at one, it looks like some kind of ink, but I'm not good a identifying that stuff. If you order from them you might want to ask what they use, the owner, Joanna, is super nice about responding. I really liked their labels, espec. for oils (no running/seeping/discoloration) and was curious about how they came out so nicely, she included a little hand written note in my order telling me where she sourced them.

Ha! I just said how much I liked stamped Muslim bags in another thread before I saw this one . I thought of those cute ones Mad Oils uses.

Burlap can definitely be stamped, but the stamp has to be big and simple... Think a fleur de lis or an alphabet letter nothing with thin, intricate lines as they wont show up well with the weave of the fabric. I've stamped burlap for pillows and bunting banners. Michaels craft store has paint like stamp pads specifically for fabric.

After reading this I went and stamped (just a big address stamp) a muslin bag (just cotton draw string) and it worked! I was so surprised it came out very clear even with smallish font. This opens up possibilities.

Doriette, that is really a nice elegant effect. I don't think it will work w/Cenz' aesthetic - don't mean to speak for you, Patrick - but I really like the way it looks.

Last edited:
Doriette, that is really a nice elegant effect. I don't think it will work w/Cenz' aesthetic - don't mean to speak for you, Patrick - but I really like the way it looks.

It is very nice and elegant, Doriette. However, n_a is right in that I'm trying to go with a more "rugged" look. I've found a few fonts to play around with and some places that will do custom rubber or acrylic stamps. And, I think I will probably go with either muslin bags or cardboard stock cigar bands. Just need some type of "image" to go along with "The Soap Mason" and I'll be set as far as the ideas for these gift baskets.

I know Thanksgiving is a ways off, but, I'd rather have this part done early and focus on the soaps I'll make for them than wait til the last minute as far as labeling.

Doriette, have you ever used one of those? I am not kidding, I *really* it - glad you posted the link - well enough to try it, maybe. Wondering how the imprint shows up w/a darker wax. At some point I would like to have some kind of labeling/packaging for presents, so far I have just been handing them out naked ....

I agree it doesn't really go with cenz's rustic look but stumbled across it the other day so thought I would share. I haven't thought about wax stamps in a REALLY long time, like since childhood! My mom used to have a monogrammed set to seal letters and I remember always wanting to help with that part.

Back