Stamped buttermilk & honey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krissy

Reaction score

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i stamped one and it turned out perfect, then i went to do the next one and it didnt come out at all. i stamped all over the messed up bar and i am guessing it is just too soft still. this piece is an end piece. i am so happy with it, but wonder when is a good time to stamp 90% OO soap. anyone know?

I love it! Your soap looks great! I can't answer your question because I don't use stamps. But I'm reconsidering this after seeing your cute bee stamp. :D

OO Soaps are tricky, especially if you use a water discount; there is a fairly narrow window where the consistency of the soap is good to stamp easily before it gets so incredibly HARD that you will need metal stamps instead of acrylic or hard rubber.

I find that my OO soaps are good to stamp on the third day right after I unmold. I use 1.5:1 ratio on my water:lye, so YMMV. If I wait until day 4 to unmold and cut, the soap is already very hard and getting harder every day.
The texture I look for is like unto a very firm chees (say, a parmesan or smoked sharp provolone, or aged swiss). At that point, I cut, smooth and stamp. Also, I d not mallet my stamps. I press them firmly by hand after dressing them with glycerine or mineral oil. I may or may not also dip them lightly in mica. Both activities, I find, help the stamp to release. Then I clean the stamp thoroughly between bars with a cotton swab when I dress it again with mineral oil.

i did have it made, and so far i have only gotten one good stamp from it in the soaps. every other one has destroyed the soap surface. it either pulls out too much soap or the stamp doesnt go in enough to be legible. :?
i can use it for packaging though so not all is lost.

Stamping is hit or miss for me. I stick with it because when it turns out, it is awesome! Did you try spritzing your stamp with some rubbing alcohol? a spritz every 4 or 5 soap usually works for me, depending on what your stamp is made of.

i got that one good stamp and then all the rest were crap. i was destroying the entire batch, so i put it all away and waited thinking that it was too soft, but even a few days later it was still too soft. i am going to gift them so i just gave up on the stamp and figure i will put it of the gift tags instead. i might take the stamp and make an acrylic one out of it though

I haven't tried any stamps yet, but I just wanted to say I really love your soap. Buttermilk and honey sounds like a fantastic combo. I'll have to try that soon. The stamp is super cute, too.

Latest posts

Back