Staining FO? Amberwood / Fragrance Buddy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
(mods: This may belong in another section, please move if you need to :) )

Edit: Asian Sandalwood............not amberwood. Where on earth..... :)

Made what I thought was a good batch of soap....but there's a problem! The scented areas are giving off colored lather!! I just made the soap yesterday... used .75 oz in .75 lbs of batter swirled with .25 unscented for a total of 1lb (test). Realizing it might be an issue when washing my tools and the bubbles were bright yellow (it discolors to brown but starts off yellow). Tested a small cut piece and yep, yellow bubbles. I used no colorants!

I shredded it thinking I'd do a confetti soap and mix it with another lb of unscented/uncolored...but then thought I might just be wasting materials. My original test bar doesn't have colored lather but I used half the fragrance in it and it didn't start off such a bright yellow.

Has anyone had a discoloring FO cause colored lather before? And if the confetti is doing this, would I just be wasting my time mixing it half and half with uncolored ? Should I just do a microwave rebatch and call it done? Help :( I have more of this to make....now I'm uncertain how to use it...

Last edited:
If its only 1 day old, I wouldnt make any judgement about the soap. Especially if the soap discolors to brown and its still only yellow.

The discolored soap may bleed a little brown but it shouldnt stain any washcloths or skin so it should not be a big deal at all. I wouldnt have confettied it that early since a lot can change for soap in just a week.

Why do you have to make them?

Last edited:
Many fo's with vanilla will turn dark brown and give off brown bubbles. I have a warning on my labels to use dark wash clothes with all but white handmade soaps. Makes it simple. My dragon's blood, which is my most popular soap, turns dark brown and no one cares that it is a bit messy

I have to use it up because I bought 8oz of it and it's one of the ones I'm using for Christmas gifts :).

I wasn't really happy with the way it looked anyway so I don't mind making it into confetti soap, my concern is that it'll still lather ugliness even as confetti. It's turning brown as we speak, I might give the shreds a few days to discolor and then use them... espically if it seems it's not a stainer (just a colorer).

The warning is a good idea! So far most of my giftees have admitted to not using washcloths though LOL

Ah, I now get why you need to make more.

You don't have to wait till its completely brown until it goes into another soap as confetti. It will keep browning after you make the soap + confetti.

It may or may not stain. I find that my brown soap don't stain but, they do have colored lather. I like Carolyns suggestion of the disclaimer.

I've used Driftwood from Candle Science, and the suds are brown, but they don't stain. I am not crazy about the fragrance, but many people love it.

Got brave and smooshed some onto a white cloth and then scrubbed it around....it did rinse off and didn't stain the cloth. ;) So, I guess I get to add "make disclaimer" to my "what to put on the gift labels" list and now go make up the base soap and play with confetti!

Next batch I will not attempt fancy stuff and will go with a lower concentration.

And Dragon's Blood sounds tempting...I love the incense but my asthmatic cat doesn't... no no no I have enough Fo's to play with for now...(is there such a thing?) ...

Thatttttttttt would be because in my head I keep calling it amber wood. Not sure why. Can't edit the title...so I edited the first post. Thank you for noticing that!

And oddly enough, it says theres no vanillin..... the fragrance is actually a pink tint OOB which is neat looking.

Update for pics.

The original bar is the two toned (other batch is a rebatch). Then the confetti soap :). Actually, I like the confetti soap look! The scent is still pretty strong even after being confetti'd...I may do this one this way on purpose. Waiting another week before testing to see if I get the brown lather as badly.... There's less yellow now, but its still yellow / brown/ whiteish

P1100023.jpg

P1100027.jpg

Back