Stained Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcarr

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been making Melt and Pour base using the HP method.

The problem i am experiencing is that once I pour the base into my silicone molds and they cool, the soap comes out stained.

I have thoroughly cleaned my silicone molds using vinegar. Using mild dish washing soap and hot water with a soft sponge but it still comes our stained.

Has anybody experienced the same thing?

Where did you get your molds? A couple of years ago I remember folks having trouble with the red silicone log molds from Essential Depot staining their soaps, so I know such things do happen.

IrishLass :)

What colour is the stain and what colours do you use and what colour is the mold?
What FO did you use?
Is the mold stained or just the soap?

Last edited:
What colour is the stain and what colours do you use and what colour is the mold?
What FO did you use?
Is the mold stained or just the soap?
The color of the stain is white. The color of the mold is blue. The molds have the patterns. I can see it once I take the soap out of the mold.

Attachments

• JabonManchado.jpg
    JabonManchado.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 22
The color of the stain is white. The color of the mold is blue. The molds have the patterns. I can see it once I take the soap out of the mold.

That look like ash. Did it come out of the mold looking like that or did is happen after removed/cut. Can't tell if is from an individual mold or log. Though I think I see a tinge of blue too...hard to tell for sure. May be transfer from the mold.
More information would help.

That look like ash. Did it come out of the mold looking like that or did is happen after removed/cut. Can't tell if is from an individual mold or log. Though I think I see a tinge of blue too...hard to tell for sure. May be transfer from the mold.
More information would help.
It comes out of the mold looking like that. I use a 12 cavity rectangle shape silicone mold. I thought it was ash so I thoroughly cleaned the molds. I concluded it was a transfer from the mold. The problem is I purchased 10 of these molds and the soap comes out like that from all of them.

@robcarr I would contact the company you purchased them from then. I've only purchased white/opaque molds or light colored molds and have never had any transfer (thank goodness). That's a lot of molds. I've never purchased more than 1 until tested and see if I like it. I personally don't like individual molds, always get huge ash so only use them on occasion.

I've got a red silicon 8 cell mould. When I first used it, it stained the soaps pinky red. I wasn't selling so it didn't bother me too much so I kept using it. I found after a few times, probably only three or four, I can't really remember, it wore off and now it doesn't stain. However I now have other problems - ash - or something else, bit of a mystery. However, it did stop staining, and worked well for a long time, several years, and I'm still not sure if its the mould that is the problem or something else. I've also got some chocolate brown silicon moulds with a slightly shiny surface - they never stained. I do wonder if silicon moulds deteriorate with time, can't be use as I don't make an awful lot of soap. But now I would like some new moulds to see if it is the ashy problem I can't seem to get the same size which is a bit of a pain. If you can bear it, keep trying your moulds as it may well be something that wears off - especially if you have ten of them. Though that's a whole lot of blue soap to get through!

I would contact the seller, see what they have to say. Maybe you could get them replaced.
Personally, I won't use red silicone molds anymore as I've also had staining.
I contacted them but they are saying they have a 30 day return policy. I purchased the molds in November 2018

That makes sense on the 30 days. But unfortunately you're stuck with a product that may not work for you. What a bummer. I would try soaking them in something, maybe baking soda, dish soap and a bit of bleach? Or run them through the dishwasher a few times? I really have no other suggestions.

Where did you get your molds? A couple of years ago I remember folks having trouble with the red silicone log molds from Essential Depot staining their soaps, so I know such things do happen.

IrishLass :)
I had that problem too. Did you figure out what the problem was? I would love to know why they do that.

That makes sense on the 30 days. But unfortunately you're stuck with a product that may not work for you. What a bummer. I would try soaking them in something, maybe baking soda, dish soap and a bit of bleach? Or run them through the dishwasher a few times? I really have no other suggestions.
Thank you!!

SO your soap should be white?
The blue is from the mold?

I think the reason is that it is the type of silicone used.
Try and buy platinum based cure system silicone. It withstands higher temps and is a better, longer lasting silicone. It doesn't have to be expensive it just has to be made that way.

Back