Squeaky Clean, Sticky Feeling during rinse.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestial1124

Reaction score
Looking for tips on a smooth soft rinse. I made my first batch of soap using a recipe that was recommended on one of the threads. It was a goat milk soap using 40% Lard, 25% Sunflower oil, 20% Coconut oil, 10% Shea Butter and 5% Castor oil. I let the bars cure for 5 weeks and tested one. It was hard and seemed fully cured. It has a really good, creamy bubbly lather. What I'm curious about is when I rinse, I notice a squeaky clean or sticky clean feeling. I don't notice a tight or dry feeling once I'm dry, its just during the rinsing/in the water. I'd love to make a bar with all the conditioning properties that has a smooth rinse. I've bought a goat milk soap that was olive oil, coconut oil and palm oil that rinsed clean that I love. So I'm thinking it might be from the lard or shea butter? Would love anyones insight, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh...I did not add any extra oil/fat, just went with the 5% default super fat discount in soap calc....is my soap too lye heavy? I'll post the recipe..

Attachments

• soap recipe.jpg
    soap recipe.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 21
Hard water can give that squeaky clean or sticky feeling.

Thank you, hard water is possible, but other soaps (many handmade) that I've used haven't had this issue with a clean rinse so I was more leaning towards one of the ingredients or something with the recipe.

Thank you, what percent water do you use?

Last edited:
I'd love to make a bar with all the conditioning properties that has a smooth rinse. I've bought a goat milk soap that was olive oil, coconut oil and palm oil that rinsed clean that I love.
Olive, Coconut & Palm are known as the "Basic Trinity of Oils". I recently made a batch for a customer who could no longer purchase his favorite soap from an online source. It is indeed a lovely soap. I used the default settings to calculate my NaOH amount here :
http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp
I used 30 oz. oils which just fit my WSP 1501 Silicone Loaf Mold. See PDF attached.

HTH (Hope This Helps!) and HAPPY SOAPING. :computerbath:

Attachments

• 111220 Ed's Soap.pdf
    86.1 KB · Views: 58
Olive, Coconut & Palm are known as the "Basic Trinity of Oils". I recently made a batch for a customer who could no longer purchase his favorite soap from an online source. It is indeed a lovely soap. I used the default settings to calculate my NaOH amount here :
I used 30 oz. oils which just fit my WSP 1501 Silicone Loaf Mold. See PDF attached.

You used the default setting for water?

You used the default setting for water?
Yes M'am. Long time soaper here since 2004. I played around with water discounts for a while but found full water works best for most of my soaps. I also cover the batch with 4-ply Mylar while in the mold. I've never had DOS or soda ash.
That may have something to do with Colorado's dry Alpine Desert climate. :smallshrug:

Yes M'am. Long time soaper here since 2004. I played around with water discounts for a while but found full water works best for most of my soaps. I also cover the batch with 4-ply Mylar while in the mold. I've never had DOS or soda ash.
That may have something to do with Colorado's dry Alpine Desert climate. :smallshrug:
Wow, I have never ever used the default setting in SoapCalc. I started out at the 33% (water as % of oils) but quickly learned about lye concentrations. And I have been using mostly a 33% lye concentration, although I do use a 45% lye concentration for Castile Soap. I’ve never met a seasoned soaper who uses the default. I’m just surprised.

Thank you, I'll try that out on my next batch :)

Right on.
What if I wanted to do high percentage tallow? I want to do at least 40% tallow... And omit the olive oil and swap. Will this be too hard? Or can it be done.

That squeaky clean feel goes away after about 5 months (in my experience). Even when the bar feels solid and doesn’t quickly melt away in water the squeaky feel remains. It’s the last part to mellow out (in my experience).

Latest posts

Back