Squareup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m revamping my website so it integrates with my square to keep better track of inventory and sales. It’s hosted by Weebly and I actually already have a weebly site but I like the way the ordering works with squareup.

My question is about listing products and choices. As a buyer, do you prefer to order an item by size and scent or by item and size? Ex: 4 oz lotion - various scent choices or Lavender Lotion - 2/4/8 oz size choices? Same for soap: Bar soap - scents available or individual scents?

I know what I like but I want to get it from other experience of being a consumer and soaper.

IMO, consumers want to see each unique product shown as its own product listing, preferably with an eye catching photo that shows the product label and hopefully how each product looks (at least slightly) different than the others.

Within the listing for a given product is where you'd provide the more mundane options (size, for example) that define the specific item the customer wants.

Thank you, @zanzalawi and @DeeAnna.

That is what I was thinking about the products being each individual listing. It makes for a longer buildout with nearly 100 items but I think more satisfying for the buyer experience. I don’t push my website or online ordering but lately I have been asked about the website so I figured it was time for an update.

I had two ways of thinking about ordering and how I have it on my square app is different than how I want people to order. I thought having a soap showcase page to describe each bar and then have the soap listing have the scent choices on the ordering page, however the caveat is a person would have to go to that listing multiple times to order separate scents. An individual listing allows a person to order however many of one scent.

I hope to take all the photos this week and edited so that I can have the site published for the new year. It’s quite a daunting task lol

I maintain my own e-commerce website (over 800 products now!) I totally understand what you mean about it being daunting. It's a LOT of work to get it all set up properly. Shooting and editing the photos, writing copy, deciding on pricing, setting up options, entering the products into the database, and so on. And when all that is mostly done, it's time for a new round of revisions and updates.

I wish you all the best!!!

I have been debating this issue too - especially with some of my more generic items like lip balms, foaming sugar scrubs, etc. and as I expand my non-soap product lines. Right now I have a separate listing for each lip balm, and then each scent of sugar scrub with drop down to pick the different size. I was thinking about combining all of my lip balms into one listing and then the drop down for each flavor. Same for the sugar scrubs, one listing for the large size (for example) and then the variety of scents available in the drop down. But my customers already struggle figuring out how to switch the shipping to pick up (for locals), so I don't know how well this would work. My opinion for soap is that each scent should have it's own listing - too many of my customers don't really care if it's Aloe or Coconut Milk and only care about the scent, so it makes more sense to have each scent it's own listing rather than one generic Coconut Milk Soap with a variety of scents to pick from. I tend to vary the clays, silk/no silk, and other additives so it does make it easier to clearly disclose each soap ingredient listing by having each soap as it's own listing.

All that said... I think you have to do what works best for your customers and your product line. In my case... I err on the side of "what is easiest for them to figure out to get what they want" which means I have to dumb down even if it means more work for me. Your customers are probably smarter ;)

All that said... I think you have to do what works best for your customers and your product line. In my case... I err on the side of "what is easiest for them to figure out to get what they want" which means I have to dumb down even if it means more work for me. Your customers are probably smarter

and this is the crux of my thinking! I’m not sure because I rather not do internet selling lol I did only do one listing for lip balm with a drop down since the only difference is the flavor/scent. And now I set up the lotions for the sizes with the scent drop down too. It’s really the soap I’m at a loss for.

I just took inventory for my end of year counts and I only have 12 bars of soap in stock anyway so not too much to list. Everything else is curing...I suppose I will have people check out the site and tell me what they think.

I appreciate all your opinions and experience!

Latest posts

Back