Square Reader - Tricks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Lin19687, Jun 8, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 8, 2018 #1

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Thought we should have a thread JUST for the Square Readers and how they work.
    Trick and Tips.

Like I just learned ( from @amd ) that you put the reader in AFTER to tally up the totals.

Item List - Yes do this, I was wondering how hard it was going to be for me to calculate a big order. I even put in a Buy 5 for 4. still tweeking but it is nice that you can Edit.

What other things did you learn on your way to using the Square ?

I want to post a clip from @amd about Etsy and Square that I didn't know.
    "
    So that prompted me to make the decision to keep my Etsy store, and takes some work off my plate because maintaining Square and Etsy was a PIA but I'm not ready to cut ties with Etsy yet. There is a sync function between Square and Etsy that they rolled out a month or two ago, but it screwed up the listings on the Square store, so I had to go back and reload pictures and make listings available again every time I added a new listing... It was an hours time suck. So now when the new website goes live there will be a button click to take you to the Etsy store for shopping, and then I'll add in all the other nonsense during the next weeks. "

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Jun 10, 2018 #2

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

So, I have the Contactless & Chip reader but I can't get it to pair with my tablet. I did check compatibility and it is compatible. I figured I'd better get familiar with it before next weekend, right? Any tips?

HA! Finally got it. For anyone else, I turned the reader on so the orange lights were flashing, then opened the app and into settings to pair them.

amd likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2018 #3

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

@Misschief So glad you figured it out! This is the one thing my friend struggles with at every show. (She has even called me if she knows I am not at a show, to help her mid-sale, lol)

Because Lin quoted me above regarding the Etsy to Square sync, I'm going to clarify just a bit in case you don't know. You can get a "free" website with Square - if I remember right it ends up being something like yourstorename.mkt.com or something like that. You can also buy your own domain and transfer the mkt store to your domain. I did the mkt for a year, and have done my own domain for almost two years. If you want a basic functioning online store, this works very well.
    https://squareup.com/online-store

I've had an Etsy store for a year and a half-ish (my mind set is to sell in as many places as possible). As mentioned, Etsy and Square teamed up this spring so you can sync listings. This is more of a benefit to Etsy users who were trying to use Etsy's in person sale tool (which sucked). The sync was really not made for users like me who may have both Etsy and Square stores already. So if you have an Etsy store and want to have a Square store too, be prepared for tons of maintenance as quoted by Lin above.

Honorable mention: I have made the decision to sell only using Etsy. My website directs my customers to my Etsy store. I've indicated to my regulars that they can use Etsy to review what I have and in what quantities (Square online store does not show available qty), and then personal message me. Which is what 99% of my customers do anyways. I still use Square for in-person sales at shows (which is synced with my Etsy account) and invoicing. I wish they had done a better job of integrating the two sales channels, but I'm a small fish in a big pond.

shunt2011 and Misschief like this.
  4. Jun 11, 2018 #4

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

Another thing I like about the Square app is that you can program in discounts! I have a 'co-worker' discount of 15% for anyone who works in the same healthcare system as me. And an 'arts appreciation' discount of 20% for actors, artists, and musicians. My nephew is a professional actor and so I know those guys work hard for often minimal pay!

amd and Misschief like this.
  5. Jun 11, 2018 #5

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

I found that option and have programmed in a 10% off your entire purchase discount.

amd likes this.
  6. Jun 11, 2018 #6

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

TY @amd I am not looking forward to trying to figure out how my Website will work with Sq or Etsy . I don't have Etsy yet but want to try it out.
    I really wanted my Website to just do the Sq payment, not go to their store website. But, Le Sigh, I better figure out how to make a Button to send people to Sq store.
    I have to get a separate bank account for Biz/Sq/Etsy/paypal just to make things easier .

The free Sq reader is so tiny. I was thinking of putting Velcro on it and then on the back of my phone so I don't lose it at a show ;)
    Maybe I need to velcro it to myself :D

7. Jun 13, 2018 #7

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

@Lin19687 depending on who you have a website with and the level of the website subscription, I think most have an option to integrate with Square. Tipsy Sherry went with WordPress in a spur of the moment decision, but Sober Sherry discovered the level needed for a cart plug-in is the top level - which at this time my online sales can't support. I have this morning off work, so if I get caught up on the forum I am going to checkout a few other platforms. If I find something affordable that integrates well with Square, I will probably kill my WordPress site and make a clean switch. I have 30 days to get my money back from WordPress.

shunt2011 likes this.
  8. Jun 13, 2018 #8

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

I have 1&1, and it tells you how to have SQ as your store.
    I didn't fully read it and just did the #'s in the DNS, but it got a bit wonky and I didn't want to leave it like that and then forget.

I need to find out if I can just have a "Button" at the 'CART" that sends over to SQ to just pay or if I need to just have the "Buy Products" button and it shoots over to the SQ store.
    I just have not played with it lately. Not focused I guess

@amd https://www.1and1.com/website-builder-packages
    Shows the packages, for $12 the 1st year I paid for a year, then it goes to $10 a month. When I get close to that I will figure out what I want to do.
    I had previously bought my Domain of RusticLifeFarm.com before I decided to just get the website because it was so cheap. Had I known that they had this "deal" for a long time I may have waited.
    Aslo I spent a full week googling reviews on 1&1 and they seemed good, a few issues but nothing that the others didn't have.

https://squareup.com/i/RUSTIFARM1
    I think this is a referral link for anyone that wants to use it ?
    "Invite friends and merchants to use Square. When they activate a Square account through your referral link, they‘ll receive free processing on up to $1,000 in sales"

Bummer wish I had asked someone for this when I joined

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018