Square rate change

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, busy at work and I wanted to get it out before I forget, @amd is correct. The +0.10 is per transaction.
I only use CC if $25 or over

I’m going to start charging a dollar fee for anything under 20.00.

I just tell them that it has to be the $25 or over due to the fees. I am also going to be adding in the Tax on the CC payments. Normally I just eat the tax and pay it myself at the end of the year just to keep the price simple and less change coins ;)

Yep, I do like @jcandleattic. I had to raise my prices slightly mid year when I discovered that I need to pay a tourism tax for shows that I previously had not been factoring in.

I used to take card for any sale, but I am also going to start putting a minimum purchase for my upcoming shows.

I never really thought about putting a minimum on my charge sales, however, almost all of my sales are $25 or over due to my 4 for $xx deal.

However, this year I will be offering smaller candles, and some handmade home sewn give bags as well for a little less, so it makes sense to put a minimum purchase price for card sales...

Personally, I'm just going to keep doing business as usual other than politely requesting cash for purchases under $20. As a small business owner I'm just not willing to lose a reasonable sale (say anything over $5) over a 10 cent fee. And honestly I don't think anyone has ever attempted to use a card for anything under $10 at a festival. So yeah...I'm going to make that sale! Turning down $4.77 because I don't like the extra 10 cent fee seems like a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face. Sure I could send the customer to the ATM to get cash, but will they return to my booth?
I always charge tax on card purchases anyway, and most of the festivals I attend don't allow vendors to charge a fee for card use.

Ohhh, shunt, that would suck! I have not run into that problem - usually if someone is going to run their card, they make it worth it... but different strokes for different folks. I think that case I would politely decline their sale or tell them there will be a fee even though I don't have anything posted. I just find it shocking when people go to shows with no.cash. I always take at least $40 cash for purchasing small items, and then if I find something big I expect the seller is able to take cards. Some people's children.

Nothing suprises me anymore. I've had people come in with a 50.00 bill and want to buy one lip balm. I've passed on that as well. They just wanted change for other shopping. I'm one of the first booths at one of my shows so get hit frequently asking for change. Granted I always have plenty of change but I'm not breaking a 50.00 for 2 or 3 dollars. Call me stubborn or bullheaded. LOL

I'm not breaking a 50.00 for 2 or 3 dollars. Call me stubborn or bullheaded.
You can call me stubborn and bullheaded too then, because I'm right there with you.
I've had the same with $100 bill at 8am (first customer) buying a $5 candle. Umm, sorry that would leave me with absolutely no change for the next customers, so nope, I wouldn't do it. They walked away stating "well you just lost a sale" Okay, that's better than the 4-5 sales I'd lose by not having the correct change for other customers, so I'm okay with that... :)

Personally, I'm just going to keep doing business as usual other than politely requesting cash for purchases under $20. As a small business owner I'm just not willing to lose a reasonable sale (say anything over $5) over a 10 cent fee. And honestly I don't think anyone has ever attempted to use a card for anything under $10 at a festival. So yeah...I'm going to make that sale! Turning down $4.77 because I don't like the extra 10 cent fee seems like a case of cutting off my nose to spite my face. Sure I could send the customer to the ATM to get cash, but will they return to my booth?
I always charge tax on card purchases anyway, and most of the festivals I attend don't allow vendors to charge a fee for card use.
I will always do business the same as I do now. I charge tax but no card fee. L I sell rubber duckies for $2.00 and if a person wants one and either charge it or gives me a big bill I usually give them the duckie. It makes people happy. The $.15 fee still gives me a profit on the duckie, which I purchase for approx $.75. When customers ask if I charge a fee I inform them I do charge tax but no fee. Tax, everyone is used to but people hate the word fee and will at times walk away. I know as a buyer, I will walk away if I am told there is a card fee. Call me a bad business person, but this is not a business for my full income. I am retired and it is something to do, plus make a little going out to eat money. As for breaking a large bill, I always have enough twenties that I can break big bills, so normally I will. It is what it is, sometimes customers have had no time to get to a bank or just forget to break the bill. Been there and done that myself. All, even dollar profit sales add up at the end of the day.

I'm right there with ya, cmzaha. This isn't my full income either and I don't think this makes us bad business people. We're just creating good karma.
And like you, I have no problem breaking big bills. I start out every festival with $200 in the till for this very reason. Sometimes people just don't think about this, particularly if they've never been vendors themselves.

Back