Sqeaky Clean

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garland68

Reaction score
I have made about 5 batches of CP soap over the past 4 months and all of them give me a squeaky clean feeling after I rinse off. Mind you my skin is not itchy nor is it dry, just squeaky clean.

My question is, is home made soap suppose to feel that way?

My recipe is:
Olive 30%
Coconut 30%
Shea Butter5%
Safflower 10%
Caster 5%
Sunflower 10%
Soy 10%

I use a 6 Percent Lye Discount and a 15% water Discount.

I also use Silk that I disolve in the lye solution which is Aloe Juice.

Granted while I am soaping up I get a great lather and it feels really silky and smoothe but when I rinse off I get a squeaky clean.

I'm just wondering if it is suppose to feel this way.

Thanks!

Never mind I just saw another post about this.

I think it is the Cococut. What do you think?

might be to high of a percentage of coconut for your skin type. squeaky clean means you are stripping all the natural oils off your skin. think the zest commerical.

you could still use that high of a percentage of coconut and just change it's sap value to .136 which is what our aussie soaping buddies have done. there was much talk about the sap value of coconut being to high and that is why it is drying in higher percentages when used in soap. but yet you can make a all coconut lotion and it is just awesome on the skin. so really coconut should not be drying.

it can't be blamed on the chemical process of soap making as it would or should effect all oils used in soap making the same way.

basically what this is doing is upping your superfat. by changing the sap value and basing your lye amount off of that is more accurate then saying you are going to do a superfat of whatever porportions. so someone informed me when i asked why i couldn't just superfat it at 15 % across the board.

nothing in stone says it has to be .136 you could adjust it somewhere in the middle of the .191 most lye calculators use and the .136 they suggest.

you can google for a aussie soap calculator and compare the amount of lye it will give you for the same formula run thru the soap calculator.

i have in the past been using both pk and coconut for the bubbles because too much coconut was drying but with the cost of oils and shipping on the rise, i have been doing some batches with the lower sap value and using just coconut and i'm liking the soap very much. it may allow me to eliminate having to buy the pk.

well it was food for thought.

Back