Sprinkles ingredients ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimeowmoo

Reaction score
Hello all! I've made a batch of soap with some candy sprinkles on top. I'm wondering if I needed to list all the ingredients of the sprinkles on the label ?
By the way, I'm located in the US.
Thank you all for the advices in advance!

Hello all! I've made a batch of soap with some candy sprinkles on top. I'm wondering if I needed to list all the ingredients of the sprinkles on the label ?
If you list some of the ingredients and not all of the ingredients, then what is the purpose of the listing?

In other words, Yes, IMO. (IMO=in my opinion) And apparently also the opinion of expert, Marie Gale, as you can read here:
https://www.mariegale.com/if-one-then-all/
Whether you only label for your friends & family, or you sell, it is best to follow labeling requirements & norms that consumers have come to expect. See the FTC's Fair Packaging and Labeling Act for details.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/fair-packaging-and-labeling-act

If you list some of the ingredients and not all of the ingredients, then what is the purpose of the listing?

In other words, Yes, IMO. (IMO=in my opinion) And apparently also the opinion of expert, Marie Gale, as you can read here:
https://www.mariegale.com/if-one-then-all/
Whether you only label for your friends & family, or you sell, it is best to follow labeling requirements & norms that consumers have come to expect. See the FTC's Fair Packaging and Labeling Act for details.

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/fair-packaging-and-labeling-act
On that note, if my sprinkles have similar ingredients to the main product, can I just list the remaining ingredients lastly on the list? Or would you list them separately like ”sprinkles: ingredients.....”

TashaBird, personally, I'd make that decision at the time of labeling, but I'd probably do the latter. But I avoid edible toppings on soap, so have not had to make this decision.

Here is one sprinkles and it's ingredient list. The only likely common ingredient might be sugar.

Ingredients: sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, food-grade wax, and artificial coloring and flavoring.
1623769962188.jpeg

My thought, you can do it one of two ways...

This is how I do it for my soaps that have a sugar bead...
1623774193603.png

Or the other way would be...
Ingredients as listed above with "white sugar bead" edited as: White Sugar Bead [sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, food-grade wax, and artificial coloring and flavoring]

When I do soaps that have MP embeds, I list the MP ingredients as the second option above, like this:
1623774337059.png

Note that this soap also has a sugar bead on it... I probably should list the sugar bead with the complete ingredient list... but then where does one stop? For example, the coconut milk that I use also has these ingredients: COCONUT MILK EXTRACT, WATER, GUAR GUM, CARBOXYMETHYL CELLULOSE, POLYSORBATE 60, CITRIC ACID,SODIUM METABISULPHITE (SULPHUR DIOXIDE) - OR this ingredient list depending on which brand is available: Coconut Milk, Water, Potassium, Metabisulfite ...

I think we have to draw the line some where. Acknowledging that there are sprinkles, or sugar beads, or coconut milk in the soap is enough for the customer. I can see someone questioning the soap embed ingredients, which is why I chose to list that on the ingredient list. This is just my thinking, though. Perhaps when it comes to the letter of the law, our ingredient lists really aren't as short or as clear as we would like.

TashaBird, personally, I'd make that decision at the time of labeling, but I'd probably do the latter. But I avoid edible toppings on soap, so have not had to make this decision.

Here is one sprinkles and it's ingredient list. The only likely common ingredient might be sugar.

Ingredients: sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, food-grade wax, and artificial coloring and flavoring.
View attachment 58517
Oh NO! I did not realize the OP was referring to sugar food sprinkles. I must've missed that part. No, my sprinkles would be made from similar ingredients as my soap/bomb/bar or whatever.

I always use a little soap dough - put it through an extruder to make soap sprinkles. They look just like candy sprinkles but since they are soap, easier to label and safe in shower or bath. Also, I live in South Florida and candy sprinkles would be problematic - soap might sweat and attract insects. Just a thought for the future.

Back