Spring Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few soaps to kick off spring.

The first is colored primarily with alkanet root powder, with a little sprinkle of Really Red mica to influence it toward the pink side of purple. I didn't plan this soap (i.e., didn't infuse the alkanet). I thought the speckles might add a little interest since I was only using two colors. The scent is divine -- an EO mix of lime, basil, spearmint and patchouli.
Lupine.JPG

Didn't quite get my proportions right on this one, or the colors. It's a little too perky, but does set the spring season mood as intended. Ignore the Christmas-themed tablecloth! The top sprinkles are pink sea salt. It has an EO blend dominated by lavender but supplemented by others to the point that it's not immediately identifiable as such. But it's still pretty fresh - I think people will like it.

Spring.JPG

This is a pumice & coffee ground scrub loaf fresh out of a small Pringles can. Hubby has been asking for this forever, and I'm finally a good wife (if I got the scrubby part right). He says it smells like blueberries (which he loves), but really it's a blend of BB's Holiday Candy (67%) and Berry Wine (20%), with just a titch of Basil EO (13%) to tone down the sweetness. I now have a path for using up those FOs!

IMG_6781.JPG

I overplanned this one - it's much darker than I wanted. It has alkanet, red clay, green clay, and mocha brown mica which looks black here for some reason. It has a terrific EO blend similar to the first soap above, sans patchouli. I need to go on record with it: 60% lime, 22% Spearmint, 18% basil. Very refreshing, despite the darkness!

Granite.JPG

Lovely soaps with wonderfull fragrance combinations, smells so yummy.

Btw - I totally see a bird in the black & White soap (pumice & coffee) Like a cockatoo in a nest, with a feather on top of its head:)

They are all beautiful with the coffee being my favorite and I also see the bird. The scents sound wonderful, especially since I love lime but have problems with anchoring it. Does your mix hold the lime well? Will have to check my stash and see if I have basil, I know I have White Thyme, but boy it is strong. I think I have basil and will be trying your mix above. Thankyou for the info. Wish I could get alkanet to look so pretty, I gave up using it a long time age

You might already know this, Carolyn, but if your white thyme is an EO or is an FO that includes thyme EO, watch out. Thyme causes soap to set up so fast it isn't funny. It's almost ... not quite, but almost ... as fast a mover as pine tar.

Does your mix hold the lime well? Will have to check my stash and see if I have basil, I know I have White Thyme, but boy it is strong.

I don't know yet if basil and peppermint will hold the lime - it's my first time - but I'm optimistic based on a somewhat similar mix with grapefuit, which has lasted well over a year. I fear I went too light though, at only 3.5% which was less than planned (long sad soapy story). But it's a keeper if it sticks, and a good way to use basil which can be overpowering just like you say white thyme is. The key is small proportions.

^^For that uncertainty, I included patchouli in the first soap pictured above. I have much experience with patch and can say with certainty PATCHOULI ANCHORS CITRUSES. And it's pleasant in balanced proportions. I'm hoping basil can do all (or most) of that.

I totally see a bird in the black & White soap (pumice & coffee) Like a cockatoo in a nest, with a feather on top of its head:)

Good eye, birdseye! I never saw that, and now the soaps are cut so I'm especially glad you pointed it out!

You might already know this, Carolyn, but if your white thyme is an EO or is an FO that includes thyme EO, watch out. Thyme causes soap to set up so fast it isn't funny. It's almost ... not quite, but almost ... as fast a mover as pine tar.

Good tip! White thyme is not in my lineup yet but I am settling toward more EOs so this is good to know. Did you get soap on a stick?

Good tip! White thyme is not in my lineup yet but I am settling toward more EOs so this is good to know. Did you get soap on a stick?

If you didn't pour quick, yes, it would be soap on a stick. I've done 2-3 batches with a thyme EO as part of a blend of EOs. Within 30 seconds after pouring the EO into the batter and hand stirring, the batter was chunky.

If you didn't pour quick, yes, it would be soap on a stick. I've done 2-3 batches with a thyme EO as part of a blend of EOs. Within 30 seconds after pouring the EO into the batter and hand stirring, the batter was chunky.
You are quite right, and of course I mixed it with a fragrance that accelerates. Got it in the mold but had to be very quick. Mine is EO and it is extremely strong and I have 2 lbs of it, which I do not think I will ever use it all

Beautiful work and the melon colored soap is great. You say the proportion was off but I think it makes this so unique. Lovely!

Latest posts

Back