Spring green soap, made from recycled cooking oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anich

Reaction score
Long time no soap! I finally found time to make a quick batch. I actually decided to make this one when I was wondering what to do with all the used cooking oil I used for deep-fried doughnuts on the 1st of May. I hate to throw anything usable away, so... :D

The oil itself smelled absolutely foul, but the smell disappeared almost immediately after adding lye. Right now they smell very fresh, fruity and summery :) The color is a bit on the yellow side, but I'm quite sure it will become whiter when curing. The pics were taken right after cutting.

DSCN2219.jpg

DSCN2218.jpg

Ah sorry, forgot to mention, it's Spirulina powder :) Never seem to get very even color with it, but then again, I think the graininess isn't a big issue.

i have used Chlorella powder and gotten the same look. i love the specled green colors it gives.
lovely soap. :)

Thank you all! The cooking oil used here is 100% rapeseed oil, probably the most commonly used and by far the cheapest cooking oil here in Finland. I also used around 10% of coconut oil to make bars a bit harder, and 8% castor oil to increase lather which tends to be quite low in 100% rapeseed bars. Very good blend in my opinion, though it takes time to cure.

I love the beautiful product you were able to create with upcycling. These would have huge label appeal to me because of the aspect.

Latest posts

Back