Spring Craft Fair_ Keep my Mouth Shut Nope

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if soap made with Holy Water could make healing or protective claims-Blessed soap- Heals anything it touches. That may blur the FDA rules a little since they are not running into any churches to stop healing claims.
I had better shutup or some crazy bat may do just that.
I am kidding guys please don,t jump me lol.

kidding as you may , there are two good people that i know of that makes soap with holy water .... and no claims made :)

I retract my earlier statement, as the FDA website clearly states its position on ingredients included in a cosmetic under their intended use section:

"Ingredients that cause a product to be considered a drug because they have a well-known (to the public and industry) therapeutic use. An example is fluoride in toothpaste."

"This principle also holds true for "essential oils." For example, a fragrance marketed for promoting attractiveness is a cosmetic. But a fragrance marketed with certain "aromatherapy" claims, such as assertions that the scent will help the consumer sleep or quit smoking, meets the definition of a drug because of its intended use. Similarly, a massage oil that is simply intended to lubricate the skin and impart fragrance is a cosmetic, but if the product is intended for a therapeutic use, such as relieving muscle pain, it's a drug."

So really, the only thing you can say about soap is that it cleans and smells nice. If you're stating that an ingredient has medicinal or therapeutic properties and a consumer could reasonably be expected to assume your finished product has those same properties, then you're no longer selling a cosmetic...it's considered a drug and you've got all kinds of new regulations to deal with (which most of us couldn't even begin to comply with).

There's actually a warning letter dealing with exactly this situation posted on FDA's website:
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm440960.htm

Glad I don't sell, I don't want no liability law suits showing up, but legally can I trade and say what the properties I. The soap are if I'm doing a barter?

Not selling does not protect you from a lawsuit. Sure you can say whatever you want about your soaps if you give them away, but if someone uses them and is injured in some way, you can still be taken to court for damages.

cmzaha, would it do any good to email your market manager the FDA website. Are managers in any way responsible for the false claims of their vendors if they are aware of the legalities?

kidding as you may , there are two good people that i know of that makes soap with holy water .... and no claims made :)

Hey as long as no claims are made then there is not a thing wrong with that.:thumbup:
My mother-in-law is Catholic and she is so strict with her holy water. Anytime we get a new car it gets doused in it, also every new home home we have lived in. I am not a religious person but it makes her feel better so I'm not complaining.

Latest posts

Back