Spreadsheet for oil comparisions, substitutions, and combinations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paragon

Reaction score
I used and will continue to use soapcalc.net, but I found it was unhelpful for quickly seeing which oils were similar to others with respect to their fatty acid composition. I listed my most relevant oils in a spreadsheet to see that information at a glance. However I discovered that wasn't enough. I wanted to see exactly how similar shea butter was to a combination of lard and coconut oil. What about varying the percent of each component? What about adding a third component like stearic acid? What if I want to mix the above composite with a different oil to make a new composite? SoapCalc can do this, but with significant data entry and never seeing all you need to see at a glance.

I combined the above fatty acid table and compounding feature in a spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IlWtPhziq3Mda7quLfDWtzcwoLOtBY23_gDOCfFfu7o

The way I imagine it being used:
  • Make your own copy of the spreadsheet.
  • Add rows for the oils you have or can easily buy (and add the fatty acid percentages from soapcalc).
  • Add rows for the oils you may find in a recipe but don't want to use.
  • Highlight various rows and columns (holding ctrl for multi-select) to draw attention to certain fatty acids to see which oils match which others.
When you encounter an ingredient in a recipe that you don't want to use, create a new row at the bottom to represent the substitute. Copy the last row as a starting point/example (and so the same formulas are used), then modify the green cells. The green cells represent oils and percents. If you want the composite to contain 10% almond oil and 90% lard, then find with cell contains the word "almond oil", and put its address ($A3) in the first green box. Put "10%" in the next green box. Put the address of "lard" in the next green box, and "90%" after that. The penultimate green box can be the address of any oil, because the amount is 0% so it will be ignored. The result on the left will be the fatty acids of the composite you have specified.

When you have found a composite you like, you can either masterbatch it or use it as distinct oils. Whichever option you choose, you should use a lye calculator with each oil to calculate the amount of lye needed: 10 g of fake shea butter would be 10 g * percent of oil 1 and 10 g * percent of oil 2... Using this spreadsheet may help decide recipes, but it does not replace the functionality of a lye calculator, nor can it handle more than three oils per composite. (However, a composite of two composites could have up to six oils.)

Feel free to send suggestions, but as I am not a spreadsheet expert, suggestions that contain the needed formulas/code will be much more useful.

Last edited:
Back