Spoungey Rebatch??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
I re-batched a bunch of soaps about a week ago and everything seemed to go fine (added scents that turned out great) but the soaps feel a little spoungey. Is that at all typical of a rebatch, or symptom of anything else?

Have you made HP soaps before to compare them to that?

Yes. And just checked and compared the re-batches to a fresher castile (HP) and the castile is a little firmer but I can see/feel the similarity. Now the question is, is that normal? I just started playing around with HP a few batches ago so it's a little new to me (and I am poking around a lot more than normal).

I think it's normal. All my rebatched soaps feel spongy to me at first, but they do firm up sooner or later, depending on how much water I used.

IrishLass :)

No I am using HP, that's not normal maybe you put too much liquid. When I rebatched mine sometimes it did the same if I wanted to be pourable. Too much water makes you rebatch soap soft but don't worry I will dry, sometimes takes 8-10 weeks but it's depend. My last one it take almost 2 months to harden but eventually they will become hard but it takes time.

I noticed that in a few of my re-batches. With my last one I weighed a couple of my soaps and then set them on a drying rack with a fan blowing on them, about every 3 days I would weigh them again and every time I weighed them the soaps got lighter.
That was encouraging because even if I didn't feel the difference I still knew that water was evaporating from them, after 2 or 3 weeks they all became hard enough to use.
I will sometimes add a tiny bit of castor oil when rebatching and enough water to give it a smoother outcome, if you added to much oil they may stay spongy, but if it is water just be patient and they will get harder.:smile:

Latest posts

Back