Spoiled Olive Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Nelson

Reaction score
I couldn't find this topic using the search function, so I'll put it out to the forum.
I'm new to soap making. I wanted to make up a few batches to give to my friends and family, so I purchased larger than usual quantities of oils. I bought 6 liters of olive oil, which came in two 3 liter cans. The seller said the expiration date was in 2014 (April, I think) When I opened the first can, what poured out appeared to be water. I discovered that both cans of olive oil had separated, leaving a watery layer on top and a thick, slightly waxy oil on bottom. Has anyone run into this problem before?
Can I shake this oil to re-mix it? Can I still use it for soap making, or do I need to throw it away and buy from another source? I hate to toss out $100 of olive oil, and I really hate to spend another $100 to buy more.
Rick

I've never had that happen before even when using olive oil that I've thawed out after freezing.

Is it only olive oil in the ingredients?

I have never heard of this before, how strange???

I've never had that happen before even when using olive oil that I've thawed out after freezing.

Wait, you freeze your oils? That's brilliant. A few years ago I bought a biiiiiig tub of coconut oil with big dreams, only to have accidentally left it in the garage way past winter and right through the dog days of summer...I might need to ziplock up a few baggies this time and toss in the freezer :)

Wait, you freeze your oils? That's brilliant. A few years ago I bought a biiiiiig tub of coconut oil with big dreams, only to have accidentally left it in the garage way past winter and right through the dog days of summer...I might need to ziplock up a few baggies this time and toss in the freezer :)

Well, technically I don't freeze them. But many times my oils get delivered when I'm not home & sit out in below zero weather for hours. So by the time I get home, they're frozen.

I do freeze my shea butter, mango butter & coffee butter on purpose though. Plus some of my oils I keep in the refrigerator.

I believe you were ripped off and that what you bought was not olive oil at all. I think you should use your knowledge of the blue line and do some detective work.

Yes, or ask your parents Ozzie and Harriet if this ever happened to them. Sorry, couldn't resist! :) (Also showed my age, didn't I? :/)

Welcome to the forum, Rick. I've never heard of olive oil separating either and I would definitely check with the supplier to see if they will replace it.

Since it is the cold season for those of us up here in the northern hemisphere, if my olive oil gets cold since I was keeping it in the garage for a few days to make room to bring it in the house, it does get cloudy and looks like it separated. However, I put it in a warm water bath for 15 minutes and it clears it right up. I think its the oleic content clumping together. Once I've warmed it up and shook it up, it has worked fine :) If you haven't poured any out of the 2nd jug, try giving it a hot water bath for 15 minutes in your sink, and shake it up. Then check it to see if the consistency is back to normal.

I do suggest buying the Sam's Club olive oil though if you have or know someone who has a Sam's Club membership (you can go with them as their guest) - 6L is about $22 before any taxes.

Don't even think about throwing it out! warm it up and use it. :grin:

I would not want to take a chance on wasting my other ingredients on making a soap out of an oil that is most likely a blend of oils. Olive oil does not separate like described. It most likely has something else in it. I might consider making a laundry soap out of it though.

Last edited:
I finally heard back from the seller. He said it must have been a quality control problem. He refunded the cost of the oil and half the cost of shipping, which is better than I expected.
I tried warming and shaking the unopened can. When I opened it, it was just like brown water. There was nothing oily about it. I have no idea what went wrong, but I'm tossing this stuff in the bin. I'll buy from Sam's Club instead of Ebay.
In case anyone was wondering, the oil was Lefas Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The seller cancelled all of his auctions, so I doubt anyone will get oil from the same batch.
Thanks to everyone for your help.

I finally heard back from the seller. He said it must have been a quality control problem. He refunded the cost of the oil and half the cost of shipping, which is better than I expected.
I tried warming and shaking the unopened can. When I opened it, it was just like brown water. There was nothing oily about it. I have no idea what went wrong, but I'm tossing this stuff in the bin. I'll buy from Sam's Club instead of Ebay.
In case anyone was wondering, the oil was Lefas Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The seller cancelled all of his auctions, so I doubt anyone will get oil from the same batch.

If you compost, vegetable oils are great for your garden!

OK so I stand corrected. I would not use a brown watery olive oil either:oops:

Back