Split Pea and Ham Soup

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendejm

Reaction score
Our local Aldi has their glazed hams half priced so we picked up several of them for a great price - 13 lb for $11.00. We’ve had several meals out of the one we didn’t freeze and now it’s time for soup with the left over meat and bone! It’s so yummy and perfect for a rainy dreary day!

Ingredients:
Ham Bone with meat still on it
2 large containers of chicken stock ( we use Aldi brand)
2 containers of water (from chicken stock)
4 bay leaves
Teaspoon ginger
Ground pepper to taste ( about 1 tbl)
3 carrots
1 large onion
2 potatoes large (ish)
2 16 ounce pkgs dried split peas
1 cup cream or half and half
2 cups additional diced/cubed ham

Boil/simmer bone and liquid and spices for 2 hours. Remove bone and strain liquid. Remove fat from meat and trim bone for remaining meat. Cut larger pieces of meat to bite sized pieces.

Discard bone and put meat back into broth. Remove Bay leaves. Add cut carrots, onions and bring to a boil. Add split peas and cook on low (170 degrees if induction) for 1 hour. Add cut/cubes potatoes and continue to simmer until tender (about 20 mins)

Note: don’t add any salt until the very end and you have tasted - hams have a lot of salt in them and additional salt may not be needed.

Using stick blender - blend soup until chunky or desired consistency. Add 1 cup of cream/ half and half. Add the 2 cups of reserved ham. Stir well/serve/enjoy!

Sounds yummy. I love Split Pea Soup; the Dutch version doesn't have any dairy in it and more veggies. I add potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery to mine. Then, I throw in a Smoked Farmer Sausage just before it's finished.

For now, though, Split Pea Soup is off the menu. We're on a Keto diet and peas are too high in carbs.

This is my own recipe and didn’t know their were different versions. I sometime use cream - sometimes not. I guess it’s a mood thing. I wrote it down because my mother-in-law likes it a lot (who’d have thought - she likes something I made!)

I’m goning to have to try with sausage - that sounds delish!!

I love the addition of leaks! That sounds so good. I’m gonna try that next time. Thank you!!!!
My pleasure.

Funny aside.... When I met my husband, I discovered that he didn't care for soup as a meal. He just didn't think soup was a substantial enough item to be a meal in and of itself. It was a starter, not a main. Until I made my Split Pea Soup.

My father-in law feels the same way and we can’t convince him otherwise. He doesn’t like my split pea. If it isn’t something with a bone in it with a side of potatoes - he doesn’t think it’s dinner!

Latest posts

Back