Spirulina Stayed Green ?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made this soap in August this year and find it strange the spirulina stayed green. I cured it in the same place as the pumpkin soap for 4 wks. I put it away in a box after that. The pumpkin soap tops that were green turned brown within the month. The scent has lasted as well in this soap using cedarwood, Clove and balsam fir. Confirms again I need to take better notes as I ‘think’ 🙄 with this I added the spirulina to a small bit of oil first and in the pumpkin I added it straight to the batter... same with the Moroccan Rhassoul Red Clay. More reading and believing I need to take time on infusing oils at this point? My eyes are crossing with reading 😂 Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• 84B20DBD-67E6-4D2E-8D9A-757E5C77BC3D.jpeg
    84B20DBD-67E6-4D2E-8D9A-757E5C77BC3D.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 21
Looks good! And I bet it smells good, although I couldn't use it with clove EO in it - my skin totally reacts to clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I also can't eat clove or nutmeg (migraine triggers) but thankfully, I can eat cinnamon. But I digress....

My experience with natural colorants is that their color and their staying power vary greatly from batch to batch. I often could not find any rhyme or reason. But I still enjoy them. :)

Of all the natural green colorants, spirulina was most often the most recommended for it's longer lasting color. You took good care of it by keeping it out of light too. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts before fading.

What quantity of Spirulina did you use to oils? I just bought some and thought I would try it for a rosemary and mint EO soap... Looks lovely by the way.
Thank you :) Actually, reading my notes, I used t total 28 ounces of oils. I divided that by 3 and poured into three different pitchers ( just a little over 9 oz) . I mixed 1 tsp spirulina into a small amount of the oil just to make it easy to blend, and did the same with the red clay. one i left plain. then I added the spirulina into 1/3 of the batch, aprox 9 oz. and the red clay into 1/3 of the batch. Hope that makes sense. I'd be horrible at writing books. I hope it works for you the same. I still haven't tried actually making infusions......it seems I get different results which is why i say it morphs. As far as my skin... no problems. I'm not quite giving up on the spirulina yet....

Back