Spicy Lime FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago seeing a Spicy Lime FO that sounded really good, but now I can't remember who offered it! I thought it was Sweet Cakes, but I don't see it there.
Anyone have a clue?

I remember a few years ago seeing a Spicy Lime FO that sounded really good, but now I can't remember who offered it! I thought it was Sweet Cakes, but I don't see it there.
Anyone have a clue?

Why not just buy lime EO and mix with a mint EO? These aren't that expensive.

I ask this because I've been very disappointed with the FOs I've bought (admittedly not many). If I can, I always buy the EO. To me there's no comparison.

Why not just buy lime EO and mix with a mint EO? These aren't that expensive.

I ask this because I've been very disappointed with the FOs I've bought (admittedly not many). If I can, I always buy the EO. To me there's no comparison.

Not the OP but many of us use FO as many EO's don't stick in CP and customers like other scents that you can't get with EO. I and a lot of others prefer using FO's as they stick and customers can get scents like Love Spell, Black Raspberry Vanilla and Cotton Candy.

Last edited:
I have a spicy lime FO that I got from a local place. They won't give me the name of their supplier but I've long suspected it's the sage.
It's not super limey but it is really nice. It would be really good in men's products.

I would give the Spicy Lime a try from the Sage, she has very good fo's but they are on the upper end in price so I would test some first.

Since Shunt mentioned BRV and will mention Soapsupplies.net has a Black Raspberry Vanilla that sticks like glue, does not accelerate or discolor, which is why I like BRV from Soap Supplies. California Candle Supply has a very nice Lemongrass Fragrance that sticks will and, in my opinion, smells more lemony than Lemongrass EO in soap. It takes testing and time to find fragrance oils one is happy with. I know some like Dragon's Blood from Natures Garden and call it strong, I call it very wimpy...You can buy 1 oz samples, and use it with 16oz oils, let it cure and see how the soap holds the fo. It takes time and patience but better than wasting a lot of money on fo's.

Not the OP but many of us use FO as many EO's don't stick in CP and customers like other scents that you can't get with EO. I and a lot of others prefer using FO's as they stick and customers can get scents like Love Spell, Black Raspberry Vanilla and Cotton Candy.

Good point. Is it something about the smoke point?

Though not spicy, of 1 part spearmint and 2 parts lime EOs, makes a good blend.

Ooo, that sounds delish, thanks! *thumbs up*.

I have just gotten a 2oz bottle of distilled lime that I am aching to test, but wanted something to mix it with. I`ll will try this mix

And Lime + Rosemary and Lime + Lavender. I`ll even try Lime + Star Anise.

eta: I added a thumbsup emoticon, it was waaay to huge:eek: So I removed it, just in case someone wondered where it went;)

Good point. Is it something about the smoke point?
No, smoke point and flashpoint don't really have much to do with a scent sticking in soap or not. It's more about safety and sparks. There are several threads about it on the forum.

I'm one that simply will not use EO in soap. I feel it is a waste as I've only found a very few that will still more than 6 months, and even those tend to fade within the year, so for me, and my applications, it is just not worth it.

No, smoke point and flashpoint don't really have much to do with a scent sticking in soap or not. It's more about safety and sparks. There are several threads about it on the forum.

I'm one that simply will not use EO in soap. I feel it is a waste as I've only found a very few that will still more than 6 months, and even those tend to fade within the year, so for me, and my applications, it is just not worth it.
I agree, and I find Lime EO is not a good sticker like most citrus. That is why I like the Lemongrass FO from Cal Candle it sticks and smells delicious. It also smells good in his candles.

I agree, and I find Lime EO is not a good sticker like most citrus. That is why I like the Lemongrass FO from Cal Candle it sticks and smells delicious. It also smells good in his candles.
The lime I got from SMR when they were in business, IMO was one of the ones I found to stick like glue - one of the very few EO's. I usually use this lime EO in my beer soaps and it'll stick for up to a year or so (albeit very light by then) - I find most others - especially all other citrus - are gone before the cure is even over. Which is why as a general rule I just do not use EO's. For me Lime is actually the only exception.

The lime I got from SMR when they were in business, IMO was one of the ones I found to stick like glue - one of the very few EO's. I usually use this lime EO in my beer soaps and it'll stick for up to a year or so (albeit very light by then) - I find most others - especially all other citrus - are gone before the cure is even over. Which is why as a general rule I just do not use EO's. For me Lime is actually the only exception.

I believe that getting a scent to "fix" truly is the darkest of all perfumery arts.

I believe that getting a scent to "fix" truly is the darkest of all perfumery arts.
I don't have much problem with fragrance oils, very few IME fade to nothing, but EO's are very difficult to work with. I can't work with them at all in my candles, and they fade in soap, so they are just not worth my time or effort for the most part.

I don't have much problem with fragrance oils, very few IME fade to nothing, but EO's are very difficult to work with. I can't work with them at all in my candles, and they fade in soap, so they are just not worth my time or effort for the most part.

Do you have a vanilla FO that you recommend? I bought one off Ebay and I think it smells like cheap 1950s hair oil.

Do you have a vanilla FO that you recommend? I bought one off Ebay and I think it smells like cheap 1950s hair oil.
Several - Vanilla silk from NG, Vanilla Milk from Mad Oils/Arizona, French Vanilla from Peak(out of business now unless they have reopened but not sure it'd be the same), And many more, but I'd have to go to my lab (basement) to look them up.

Back