Speed up drying/curing time of CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
I have an experimental batch for a friend of mine with a new formula and so I made a tiny batch and cut it really thin so every bar of soap is about a 2 inch square about 1/4-1/3 inch thick.

I have it drying out on a rack so air can circulate all around........she wants it soon to try it and let me know if she and her family like it so she can order a large batch from me for gifts.

So could I blow a fan on it or something to get it to cure more quickly? I just cut it and put it on the shelf yesterday, she wants it in a week or 2. I told her no, it would need at least 4 weeks, but then I thought about asking here. She needs them by October, but she asked me late, so I feel crunched for time. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Is this CP or Hot Process?
If it's Hot Process, I use mine after a week. This gives it some time for the water to evaporate.
If it's CP, I won't sell my bars for at least 4 weeks.

Irena

It's CP soap. And normally I wouldn't even consider it, except that it's for a friend and they are test bars. I wouldn't give her the bars she giving as gifts definitely for 4 weeks.

Sigh, I'll just wait 4 weeks for the test bars too.

(She sprung the request on me quickly, with a short time period, not understanding the timing of soapmaking)

orangeblossom said:
It's CP soap. And normally I wouldn't even consider it, except that it's for a friend and they are test bars. I wouldn't give her the bars she giving as gifts definitely for 4 weeks.

(She sprung the request on me quickly, with a short time period, not understanding the timing of soapmaking)

I'm just curious...why didn't you do a CPOP, also called ITMHP, or just use a crock pot for hot process?

Irena

soapbuddy said:
orangeblossom said:

I'm just curious...why didn't you do a CPOP, also called ITMHP, or just use a crock pot for hot process?

Irena

I have no idea what "CPOP, also called ITMHP" is. I didn't do hot process because of a few reasons, mainly because she didn't tell me she needed it quickly until after I made it CP, but also because I've never done HP and I wasn't sure if the soap would turn out the same as CP....or does the process affect the soap slightly differently, since I'll be making the soap CP in the end, I would want to make it CP for a test. You know?

So what is CPOP or ITMHP?

CPOP or ITMHP is the same thing. You make the soap, bring it to trace, pour into your mold, then put in a warm oven (170 degrees) for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and leave it there overnight. By the next morning, the soap should be ready to cut. If you followed a soap calc correctly, this should be safe to sell after one week.
You really should wait longer as more water evaporates, but if you can't it's ok after one week.

Irena

Did you use a stronger lye percentage? If you soaped it at, lets say a 40% solution, it cures faster than a 30% solution. I use my GM soaps at a 33% solution, after a week of curing. There is nothing better than a good long cure for making a hard, long lasting, mild bar of soap. 8) Soap is like fine wine & cheese, the longer the cure, the better the quality.

I know of someone who constructed a "drying room' using plastic from ceiling to floor and placing a dehumidifier in the space. She says that she can sell in 2 to 3 weeks of CPing a batch.
I have a closet with a AC vent in it. I was thinking putting in a dehumidifier and a few drying racks and trying it. The dehumidifiers should be going on sale before long, and I only need a small unit. I think it is an interesting idea.

Paul.... :wink:

wow, I never knew that! What do they stand for?

Maybe I'll go ahead and do that tomorrow for her because that will be sooner than 4 weeks.

Thanks!

Cold Process Oven Process

ITMHP? a type of Hot Process.. what is the ITM...

DWCP Discount Water Cold Process

CPHP CrockPot Hot Process

ITM .. lol.. DUH

Thats oven process.. in the mold way..

oven process.. no you do not need to insulate the mold..

ETA: Well i dont insulate mine. Some people may want it to continue to gell.. i let mine just sit.. and try not to peek!

Funny, I was just about to try something like this to avoid the not-so-smooth look of HP, but wasn't sure if it could be done! Just happen to be ooking through old posts and found this one.
Does it affect the soap in any negative ways? Does it bubble up/brown on top or anything?
Thanks!

Gunner--If you have your oven too hot it can overheat and the soap will wrinkle up or become distorted on the top. Keep an eye on it.

One way I speed up my soap curing (or maybe just the drying) process, is to use a 20 to 30% water discount in the recipe.
Another way is to cut bars thinner.

What happens in curing, besides the soap becoming less harsh, is that water evaporates. If you have a thick bar to begin with, plan on a longer drying time.

I once had some one-inch thick bars that were a year old (testing) and managed to still slice them in half to find that the insides were still softish.

Once air got at them, they hardened up quickly.

hp is ok after one week, but def better after 2, its harder and lathers better.

But if you do the 170 oven then you can use it like hp, in a week or two? Why don't more of us (impatient addicts) do it this way?

Back