specifac names for soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hozhed

Reaction score
I know what Castile soap is as well as Bastile, but what do you name all the others? or is it needed at all? I made this soap the other day. Its 50% lard,25% OO,15% Cocoanut oil, and 10 % caster oil. What kind of soap would one call this?

I know what Castile soap is as well as Bastile, but what do you name all the others? or is it needed at all? I made this soap the other day. Its 50% lard,25% OO,15% Cocoanut oil, and 10 % caster oil. What kind of soap would one call this?

Handmade Artisan Soap. :razz:

When I'm sending out my soaps to friends, I pick out one special ingredient to name that recipe: Goat Soap, Salt Bar Soap, Green Soap (hemp oil & aloe water), Coconut Soap (from the CM), Beer Soap, Pumpkin Soap, etc. Now, I use CM in my salt bar and goat milk in my pumpkin soap and almost everything gets clay or silk or some kind of milk, but I like to pick something to differentiate them. :)

For that recipe, I'd probably go with "Handmade Soap" unless you subbed the water or had an interesting sounding additive... Clay Soap, Oatmeal Soap, Silk Soap, etc.

You can name it whatever you desire. :) The only soap that has an 'official' name (as far as I know) is Castile soap. The term, 'Bastile' that you mentioned was actually a Dish forum member's tongue-in-cheek nickname for their handmade Castile-type soap. Everyone loved the nickname and it wasn't long before everyone else throughout soapdom started using it, but it's not a legally recognized name like Castile is or anything like that.

I'm kinda boring- I just call my own soap 'Handmade Olive Oil Soap', or 'Handmade Tallow/Lard Soap', or 'Handmade Salt Soap', etc., depending on the predominant ingredients in the soap.

IrishLass :)

You can name it whatever you desire. :) The only soap that has an 'official' name (as far as I know) is Castile soap. The term, 'Bastile' that you mentioned was actually a Dish forum member's tongue-in-cheek nickname for their handmade Castile-type soap. Everyone loved the nickname and it wasn't long before everyone else throughout soapdom started using it, but it's not a legally recognized name like Castile is or anything like that.

I'm kinda boring- I just call my own soap 'Handmade Olive Oil Soap', or 'Handmade Tallow/Lard Soap', or 'Handmade Salt Soap', etc., depending on the predominant ingredients in the soap.

IrishLass :)

Excellent...........no hard and fast rules for soap identification......that appeals to my somewhat non conformist attitude about pretty much everything.......:lol:

I name my soaps either according to ingredients, or to design. I made an 80% tallow soap and called it "Beefy", then I did a cocoa line soap recently and named it Cocoa line(my first successful cocoa line).

I usually name mine according to the fragrance. I recently made a lard soap with spearmint and lime essential oils and I call it Mojito. Unscented soaps get named according to the oils or some standout feature, like Avocado & Hemp Soap, Bamboo Charcoal Soap, or Fisherman Soap.

Like Muskette, I name by fragrance. Sometimes by color, but the colors work with the fragrances.

Since I'm usually trying to make the gift sound appealing, I'll also add a selling point if I have one on the line below the name. Usually it reads something like "With Honey" or the like.

"The tan one", "the blue one", etc. :)

The shaving soaps I get artistic with somewhat. I try to pay homage to the inspiration and/or the ingredients or scent. My first shaving soap was called P.238 as a part homage to P.160 (favorite Italian croap) and one of my Sig-Sauers. It evolved and is now called simply "Appenninica." The Italian Peninsula is also called the Apennine Peninsula (after the Apennine mountains). In Italian it's Penisola appenninica.

Naming by locale sounds cool, although I'm thinking that some names probably wouldn't get used. I'd be unlikely to use a soap named "Newark," for instance, having been there several times. :)

Naming by locale sounds cool, although I'm thinking that some names probably wouldn't get used. I'd be unlikely to use a soap named "Newark," for instance, having been there several times. :)
Truth!

Bond No9 has some nice "New York" fragrances that are named for the different neighborhoods. Eau de New York is my current fave from them. Off track but the location thing made me remember it.

Latest posts

Back