Special Goat milks soap for my GF!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd_198818

Reaction score
I have been seeing my girlfriend for a while now, and i have seen how sad she gets every winter when the farmers market goes away.... (she is not able to buy her favorite Sandalwoood goats milk soap). I decided i would like to try and create a rich creamy Sandalwood soap similar to what she is used to having during the summer. i read the ingredient list and this is the closest recipe i have found for a CP batch.

What i am really asking is.. with all of these oils and goat milk soap, what type of soap do you think the end product will be? do you think that the recipe looks good? Neither of us are a fan of greasy bars. Thank-you in advance to anyone that will give me some input! i am Jeff, and i am new to making soap. I hope to get to know you guys better in the future :)

4lb loaf

superfat- 5%

coconut oil 76deg-363.2 grams

olive oil- 363.2 grams

rice bran oil- 181.6 grams

avocado oil- 90.4 grams

castor oil- 90.4 grams

sweet almond oil- 90.4 grams

shea butter- 90.4 grams

beeswax- 18.4 grams

cocoa butter- 90.4 grams

Palm oil- 181.6 grams

palm kernel oil flake- 217.6 grams

almond butter- 36 grams

goats milk- 512 grams

sodium hydroxide- 256 grams

combine lye with frozen goats milk and stir until at 85F. melt oils until around 90F melt beeswax in separate container to near 90F. Combine and finally add 3.5oz of "sensuous sandalwood" fragrance oil from brambleberry and 2/3 cup of ground oatmeal at thin trace.

pour into mold 4-5lb wooden loaf mold and throw into the freezer for 2 days. unmold, cut, and cure for up to 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Honestly Jeff this is awful complicated recipe for beginner. I would rec make couple simpler batches before trying this. Such as 85 olive oil 10 coconut and 5 castor oil . Numbers are precents of oils. I dont use beeswax at all fyi.

Also I would wait on using milk till you have basics down .

i have done some cp before, but this would be by far the most complicated i have been a part of. i have a close friend who has been making his own soap for a couple of years. he will be overseeing me while i make the soap. i just was hoping for some of your input. i do appreciate it.

the OATMEAL was an addition that i added to the recipe. do you think that adding that amount of oatmeal at trace would mess the recipe up any? will it stay suspended at thin trace?

Honestly Jeff this is awful complicated recipe for beginner. I would rec make couple simpler batches before trying this. Such as 85 olive oil 10 coconut and 5 castor oil . Numbers are precents of oils. I dont use beeswax at all fyi.

thank-you for that info, may i ask why you do not like to use beeswax? my girl is a beekeeper and insisted that soap with beeswax is the bees knees ;)

Way too much going on in that recipe. Also, you don't need beeswax in CP soap. You don't need a recipe with all that going on. You can make a wonderful, non-drying soap with Olive, Coconut or Palm Kernel Flakes, Palm Oil and Castor Oil. Beeswax will make the soap drag if you use too much. Run some recipes through a soap calculator until you find what you are looking for in a bar of soap. Rice Bran and Olive Oil are very similar, you could also adjust your Olive Oil with a little Avocado.

Some people don't like the feel that beeswax gives a bar and it can be difficult to work with. If you soap cool, the bees wax can harden before the other oils leaving little wax bits in the soap.

I ran your recipe through soapcalc and its a fairly high cleansing and moderately conditioning bar. Personally, I don't think I would like it at all. It would dry me up something terrible especially with a SF of 5.
Can you give us more info on why your GF likes that particular bar she buys? It would also help if we knew what kind of skin she has and what she wants from her soap.
I would also suggest to do away with some of the ingredients. There is no reason to use three different types of butters and some of the other oils are prone to rancidity. I would replace the rice bran and increase the olive oil, that will give you a more conditioning bar too.

Here is a simpler recipe that is a bit lower in cleansing and higher is condition. Its for a two pound batch though. I wouldn't recommend making a large batch until you know if you like a recipe or not.

Olive oil 225 gr
coconut oil 100 gr
palm oil 75 gr
avocado 25 gr
castor 25 gr
coco butter 25 gr
almond oil 20 gr
bees wax 5 gr

water/milk 190 gr
lye 68.918 gr

add your scent and ground oatmeal at trace.

Last edited:
I like the suggestions that obsidian made to simplify your recipe. I'd have recommended something similar. If you want to simplify further, I'd ditch the sweet almond oil (20 grams is not going to significantly change the feel of your soap, and add the 20 grams to your avocado oil, recalculating the lye, of course).

Goat's milk is a bit more complicated than water but not insane. Chill your goat's milk and add the lye very slowly, stirring all the while. It will change color (yellow/orange) but the end result will be beige or tan. The soap will have a tendency to heat in the mold because of the milk so don't insulate and keep an eye on it. If it shows signs of overheating, put it in the frig or freezer.

Some people don't like the feel that beeswax gives a bar and it can be difficult to work with. If you soap cool, the bees wax can harden before the other oils leaving little wax bits in the soap.

I ran your recipe through soapcalc and its a fairly high cleansing and moderately conditioning bar. Personally, I don't think I would like it at all. It would dry me up something terrible especially with a SF of 5.
Can you give us more info on why your GF likes that particular bar she buys? It would also help if we knew what kind of skin she has and what she wants from her soap.
I would also suggest to do away with some of the ingredients. There is no reason to use three different types of butters and some of the other oils are prone to rancidity. I would replace the rice bran and increase the olive oil, that will give you a more conditioning bar too.

Here is a simpler recipe that is a bit lower in cleansing and higher is condition. Its for a two pound batch though. I wouldn't recommend making a large batch until you know if you like a recipe or not.

Olive oil 225 gr
coconut oil 100 gr
palm oil 75 gr
avocado 25 gr
castor 25 gr
coco butter 25 gr
almond oil 20 gr
bees wax 5 gr

water/milk 190 gr
lye 68.918 gr

add your scent and ground oatmeal at trace.

thank you so much for your input! i appreciate it very much. she does tend to have skin on the dryer side so my initial recipe is probably not what i should have been looking into making. i like your ingredient bill, and it will be far cheaper to find the goods that way. she loves her soap because it is a nice hard bar that lasts, but has great suds and leaves her feeling clean but not dry.

thank you again!

so I have ended up buying everything that obsidian had recommended for my recipe minus the beeswax, how do you calculate superfat? anyone that could help with getting the numbers right again?

does the olive oil have to be extra virgin? is there a certain type that is best?

Olive oil
coconut oil
palm oil
avocado oil
castor oil
coco butter
almond oil

lye

oats and scent at trace

Are you skipping the beeswax for now? How big of a batch did you decide on? Soapcalc has a place where you can change the super fat, for my dry skin I usually do 8%.
If you aren't ready to create your own recipe, I can help. do you prefer to measure in oz or gr?

Are you skipping the beeswax for now? How big of a batch did you decide on? Soapcalc has a place where you can change the super fat, for my dry skin I usually do 8%.
If you aren't ready to create your own recipe, I can help. do you prefer to measure in oz or gr?

yea, i have decided that ill try to tackle beeswax down the road. i would love if you helped! i still have to buy a scale, but i have until next tuesday to do so. that is when we plan on making the soap. grams probably would work best for accuracy right?

i really want to make 4lb as i dont have any other molds that i can use. only the 4-5lb wooden loaf i bought. i just want to be sure that i dont end up greasy, but moisturizing soap would be absolutely fine :)

Yes, grams are the most accurate. I'll work on a recipe and get back to you in a bit.

Ok, here is what I came up with. I personally don't use palm oil so lets see what other members think before you actually make this. This will make a 4lb batch.

Olive Oil 907.184 gr

Coconut Oil 290.299 gr

Palm Oil 272.155 gr

Avocado Oil 90.718 gr

Castor Oil 72.575 gr

Cocoa Butter 90.718 gr

Almond Oil 90.718 gr

water/milk 689.46 gr
Lye 240.32 gr

ground oatmeal- 4 tsp
scent 56.699 gr

Does this look ok to anyone else? I couldn't figure out how to harden the bar without making the cleansing number go up too much.
birw46.jpg

Last edited:
if we could up the bubbles, hardness, and cleansing some i think we have a winner!

Last edited:
if we could up the bubbles, hardness, and cleansing some i think we have a winner!

I would just like to add that all those expensive and exotic sounding oils & butters sound nice but one of my favorite recipes just has tallow, olive, and coconut with castor. Lard also makes a great bar.

Back