Special Dog Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Evangeline I am a Missouri Native that has lived in South Florida for 12 years now.

Hmm thank y'all for this post we have a similar issue out of one of my dogs 2 vets have done everything short of an allergy test (which we are not doing both us and the vet feels she is to old for the stress) and testing for a yeast infection. We were about to chalk it up to her being a coyote mix and having a nervous condition. This gives us a new direction to look.

An allergy test now is going to cost way less then a lifetime of special suds, vet percribed food, treating systemic yeast infections and dealing with large smellt poo.

When a dog is on a high quality, minimal ingrediant food the dog will process it much better then a food full of fillers. Food like Old Roy, Alpo, ext are full of things that dogs cant digest, which is how we get bright yellow or red poo.

You feed less on a high quality food as well. A good option is Natures Domain from Costco, or 4health, taste of the wild, EVO, GoNatural, Orijen.

Woops, didn't read the whole thing before I posted.

As itching is even worse than pain, get him on prednisolone in the main time, while working on his diet.

Last edited:
I feel for you. People don't realize it, but not feeding a dog the right thing, especially when they so obviously have a sensitivity, is a kind of mistreatment. We don't feed our dog a raw diet (I'll admit we're just a little too lazy), but we do feed her Buffalo Blue Wilderness, which is grain-free, and is pretty much some of the best kibble you can get. I hate when people complain about cost for their animals. Our 25 lb dog goes through one 50$ bag every two months. Is their dog not worth 1$ a day? Mine is. I hope you convince the dog's parents to let you purchase the food as you've offered.

But back to the soap at hand. I recently made a goat milk and honey soap with shea butter in it and, I'll admit, I used it on my dog. She's an American Eskimo and she tends to have pretty sensitive skin, but it worked well on her and her coat is super soft and silky now. That said, a lot of people wash their dogs too much. I wash mine once ever 6-8 weeks and that is the maximum. A lot of people smell that dog smell and they wash and wash and wash, not realizing every time they do they are throwing off the dog's pH balance and making it worse.

An allergy test now is going to cost way less then a lifetime of special suds, vet percribed food, treating systemic yeast infections and dealing with large smellt poo.

When a dog is on a high quality, minimal ingrediant food the dog will process it much better then a food full of fillers. Food like Old Roy, Alpo, ext are full of things that dogs cant digest, which is how we get bright yellow or red poo.

You feed less on a high quality food as well. A good option is Natures Domain from Costco, or 4health, taste of the wild, EVO, GoNatural, Orijen.

She is an old dog. We've had her for 10 and she was was full grown when we got her from the pound if its something we can test and treat without a lot of stress on her we are willing if not we will make her comfortable. Secondly as a concern she is a coyote mix and there is one minor evolutionary difference that is capable of causing this same problem. So while we are looking for solutions we are not willing to cause her stress she may have problems coping with.

We had a Boston Terrier that had to eat vegetarian dog food. Imagine that. If he ate meat, his ears would itch and turn red inside.

I thought I would share 2 things I found that I am going to try. The Salmon oil is 1/2 tsp a serving so the bottle should last for a good while. And I found a lot of good reviews on the Happy Jack. I do wish I could make a CP soap that was lower in ph, but I don't see that happening any time soon. So going to try this for my little 4 legged buddy.

btw both of these were $12.99 a bottle!!! AHG! Anything to stop the itching though. Got them at TSC.

2013-05-09_20-27-14_86.jpg

2013-05-09_20-27-58_667.jpg

Happy Jack is good stuff! We use it on our english bulldog because he has horrible skin if we don't stay on top of it. I've also found that putting about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in his water bowl helps. It's a biiiig water bowl though so maybe less if you're dog is small (sorry, checking in while making dinner so I didn't read earlier posts!).

Back