Soybean oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for soybean oil. I've never used it before, tried searching on the forum, not much luck finding what kind to use, liquid or hydrogenated? Opinions?

It doesn't matter. Go with whatever is cheapest, or whatever you have on hand. Soybean oil is not a particularly popular soap making oil. If you love this soap, awesome, but if not, don't give up on soaping.

I have a recipe that calls for soybean oil. I've never used it before, tried searching on the forum, not much luck finding what kind to use, liquid or hydrogenated? Opinions?

If the recipe calls for soybean oil, I believe it means the liquid. The cheapest brand you can find makes the most sense.

But run the recipe through a lye calculator to be sure their were no errors in the recipe. Typos do happen.

I use soybean oil in almost all of my soaps lately, It's produces creamy stable lather and very conditioning. I use it with coconut oil in my recipe, that turn out really great. It does cut down the cost of my soap, especially when I have expensive oils in the recipe. I use between 5-15%, the only time I tried it at about 50% in my honey soap turns okay but not so bubbly(even though honey supported the bubble). I find soybean oil similar in property to olive oil. I'm hoping to try 100% soybean oil to compare to 100% olive oil soon.

I use soybean oil in almost all of my soaps lately, It's produces creamy stable lather and very conditioning. I use it with coconut oil in my recipe, that turn out really great. It does cut down the cost of my soap, especially when I have expensive oils in the recipe. I use between 5-15%, the only time I tried it at about 50% in my honey soap turns okay but not so bubbly(even though honey supported the bubble). I find soybean oil similar in property to olive oil. I'm hoping to try 100% soybean oil to compare to 100% olive oil soon.

If you want to do the experiment, make a small batch because the soap will be soft and not very good. Soybean and olive oils are very different.

There are many single-oil soap experiments that you might find interesting. Here is one of them:

http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

Hydrogenated soybean oil, some types of which are sold as soy wax, can often be more useful.

If you want to do the experiment, make a small batch because the soap will be soft and not very good. Soybean and olive oils are very different.

There are many single-oil soap experiments that you might find interesting. Here is one of them:

http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

Hydrogenated soybean oil, some types of which are sold as soy wax, can often be more useful.

So, if I purchased "soy wax" from a candle making company and soaped with it, I would use the SAP value for soybean oil and it would work? (Not going to do it, but it sounds like an interesting concept.)

I like to use Hi Oleic Canola ($.04/ oz!) and Hi Oleic Safflower.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=557367&postcount=9

I don't recommend using Soybean more than 10%, and add ROE .1% (or maximum recommended usage rate).

Favorite Lard Bar
Coconut 20%
Lard 50%
Hi Oleic Canola 25%
Castor 5%
SF 5.5%

So, if I purchased "soy wax" from a candle making company and soaped with it, I would use the SAP value for soybean oil and it would work? (Not going to do it, but it sounds like an interesting concept.)

It would totally work and people do it. The downside is that you probably wouldn't know the fatty acid profile of the soy wax (aka flaked soy shortening), if you you needed that for your nefarious plans. There are many possibilities depending on how it's made, and the info usually isn't available.

Something like Golden Brands pure soy wax is a simple hydrogenated soybean oil. The higher the melting point the more hydrogenated it is. Hydrogenation converts oleic acid ---> stearic acid and linoleic acid ---> oleic acid. The resulting oil and soap is harder and more stable.

I use pure soybean oil, liquid. Whatever pure means; I have a reason to my madness; since soybean can be GMO, I figure if I can get them from Costco, I at least will have a "better soybean oil". The other reason is the questions I get from my clients, "is your soybean oil GMO?" I can throwout Costco's name and let them take the hit, since its their oil. MHO.

I use pure soybean oil, liquid. Whatever pure means; I have a reason to my madness; since soybean can be GMO, I figure if I can get them from Costco, I at least will have a "better soybean oil". The other reason is the questions I get from my clients, "is your soybean oil GMO?" I can throwout Costco's name and let them take the hit, since its their oil. MHO.
May i ask.. what other oils do u pair it with?. And percentages?

Back