Soybean oil with citric acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satinfox

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We were at Sam's Club and saw soybean oil but the ingredients also had citric acid. I heard that citric acid in soap making requires more lye. Can I use this oil without changing the lye calculations? Will the citric acid impede saponification?

Yes, you can use it with no issue, however, just know that soybean oil is prone to DOS so use it at a low percentage rate 15% most.
Thanks, I think we will stay away from it if it can cause DOS. But, I wonder does peanut oil do the same? Those bulk size frying oils are reasonable compared to olive oil at Sam's Club.

You can use whatever oil you would like. I use Sweet Almond oil in one of mine and in my body products and just be sure to label it. Even before I sold soap I always labeled it before giving it away to friends or family.

You can use whatever oil you would like. I use Sweet Almond oil in one of mine and in my body products and just be sure to label it. Even before I sold soap I always labeled it before giving it away to friends or family.
That makes sense.

Latest posts

Back