Soy ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) This is probably a newbie question but I just have to know. I'm looking at a lot of different soaps that are being sold and noticing that most of them contain some amount of soy (I've never used it in my soaps before). Is soy a must for a good quality soap or is it just personal preference? Does it lend some kind of excellent quality to the finished product?

From a newby, as well, but I am allergic to soy :( especially soybean oil, which is becoming more common, which is one of the reasons I am making my own soap. Of course, I do not have the experience like everybody else, but I am determined to make my soap without soy. Although, I think it is going to be more costly.

Soybean oil is emolient and cheap. I think that's why commercial soaps contain it.

I use it at about 10% in my soaps for the same reasons, but there are a lot of other options out there too. It's really all a matter of personal preference. :)

SimplyE said:
From a newby, as well, but I am allergic to soy :( especially soybean oil, which is becoming more common, which is one of the reasons I am making my own soap. Of course, I do not have the experience like everybody else, but I am determined to make my soap without soy. Although, I think it is going to be more costly.

Not necessarily more costly. Lard and tallow are cheap and make great soap. You can also use canola in place of soy....just keep it down to 10-15% to avoid slime and DOS. And coconut and castor aren't that bad from soap suppliers.

You should be able to make a really nice bar without soy, and keep costs down. I would help as much as I can as a newbie. :)

Thanks for the tips, Mike.

I am in the process of just experimenting with base recipes with oils. Did not think that canola could replace soy, but makes sense at lower %. I am also hoping to substitute PK oil, because of the environmental impacts. Still experimenting and have used lard, but also looking at the more costly babassu oil in a smaller % for PK replacement. Still experiementing and have yet to use a bar at this point, since they are curing! All we can do to play, right! :lol:

Thanx for the info. I got my supplies at a place called Wholesale Supplies Plus and the oils weren't expensive at all. I was actually impressed as their prices were much lower than other sites I've been at. I need to call around in Morehead City and see if there are any local suppliers since we have a port there (no shipping costs ...wooohooo :D ) Been making soap for my kids and I for awhile now, due to skin sensitivities, but I'm finding that there's a much bigger world than castille out there and it's really fun to experiment. This is fun !!

beachgurl said:
Thanx for the info. I got my supplies at a place called Wholesale Supplies Plus and the oils weren't expensive at all. I was actually impressed as their prices were much lower than other sites I've been at. I need to call around in Morehead City and see if there are any local suppliers since we have a port there (no shipping costs ...wooohooo :D ) Been making soap for my kids and I for awhile now, due to skin sensitivities, but I'm finding that there's a much bigger world than castille out there and it's really fun to experiment. This is fun !!

It IS fun and there's no reason not to experiement. You may be the next revolution in soapmaking.

I need to check out Wholesale Supplies Plus....thank you for the tip! :)

beachgurl said:

Use Soaper Choice for oils. Their prices are less than WSP. And their shipping is not that bad when buying more that 3 gallons...

Safflower oil are pretty cheap and you can find them at the grocery store. I think it would also be good for those allergic to soy.

Also, thanks for the info on Wholesale Supplies Plus. I may be making my next order from them soon. :) Oh wait, SoapersChoice has even better prices... thanks!

Back