Soy Wax Users

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but I have a daft question. I’m looking at soy wax and it’s candle making which is coming back, is this the same stuff for soap making?

^True - make sure you get 100% soy wax. I usually use GW415 and I hear that there is a suitable equivalent in the UK. I once used an entire 5kg box of GW464 without even knowing it (I thought it was 415, but they had sent me the wrong stuff!). 464 is described as hydrogenated soy with some 'soy based' additives. Both @Dawni and i never figured out exactly what those additives were.

For those in Europe, which soy wax should we buy? I do not want any additives. I found these:
- Eurosoy800
- NatureWax C-3
- EcoSoy C3
- PURE SOY S100

What are the differences between these soy waxes, and how to they affect the soap?

I've actually used the S100 here in New Zealand and found that it had a higher melt point than GW415 and that did make a difference - much harder to work with for CP soap. Whichever soy wax you go with, get the lowest melt point that you can. I hear people mention the Eurosoy800 as being quite a good done.
ETA: Just looked up Nature wax C3 and this wouldn't suit with those high temps required.

I've actually used the S100 here in New Zealand and found that it had a higher melt point than GW415 and that did make a difference - much harder to work with for CP soap. Whichever soy wax you go with, get the lowest melt point that you can. I hear people mention the Eurosoy800 as being quite a good done.
ETA: Just looked up Nature wax C3 and this wouldn't suit with those high temps required.
Thanks! What is the melting point of eurosoy 800?

I found & bought 5lbs of Golden Foods 415, 100% soy wax!!! 🤩 🧼 ✨
Thank you @KiwiMoose for starting this thread; Thanks @Zany_in_CO for sharing “bunny’s” complied info into a link; ThankU2 @ResolvableOwl & @Mobjack Bay 4 Great information input. I’m excited to try soy wax in some 🧼!!!
Was thinking of trying this formulation, but if someone wants to chime in, don’t hesitate. 🤗 16oz oils:
OO 45%, soy wax 25%, CO 20%, Castor 10%. 3% SF, 2:1 water/lye ratio. Went lower superfat due to addition of coconut milk powder & sugar in lye solution.

The recipe sounds good! 🥜🕯🧼✨

You might give it a try first to “understand” the molten soy wax, i. e. just barely melt up the soy wax + CO. Then add the (cold) liquid oils, and (with a thermometer at hand) stir and get a feeling how low your temperature can drop until you see the melt become turbid and thicken up. False trace can be really annoying (keep in mind, soy wax is made for candemaking, and candle makers want waxes that have a sharp melting point and are solid below – contrary to the needs of soapmakers). It's better you know from the beginning how cold is too cold for your soy wax.

The recipe sounds good! 🥜🕯🧼✨

You might give it a try first to “understand” the molten soy wax, i. e. just barely melt up the soy wax + CO. Then add the (cold) liquid oils, and (with a thermometer at hand) stir and get a feeling how low your temperature can drop until you see the melt become turbid and thicken up. False trace can be really annoying (keep in mind, soy wax is made for candemaking, and candle makers want waxes that have a sharp melting point and are solid below – contrary to the needs of soapmakers). It's better you know from the beginning how cold is too cold for your soy wax.
Thank you I’ll do that. I do have a tendency to soap at lower temps. Plus ya know, SCIENCE 🧪!

If I ran into false trace with soy, would I be able to just stick with hand stirring through false trace until fluid again, as I’ve done previously when I false trace reared it’s ugly head? Or is this a recipe that could be heated up with a gentle burst in microwave? I have NEVER done that before, but read some “experienced” soapers have done so on occasion.
Run thru soap calc LOOKS okay but palmitic/stearic NOT balanced!

Last edited:
Thank you I’ll do that. I do have a tendency to soap at lower temps. Plus ya know, SCIENCE 🧪!

If I ran into false trace with soy, would I be able to just stick with hand stirring through false trace until fluid again, as I’ve done previously when I false trace reared it’s ugly head? Or is this a recipe that could be heated up with a gentle burst in microwave? I have NEVER done that before, but read some “experienced” soapers have done so on occasion.
Hi I would like to know that after mixing lye and oil if we get false trace we can burst in microwave

I've never had false trace with it, but I rarely soap below 38 degrees celsius - more often around 42 degrees ( just over 100 I think). My soap is very low in palmitic - only what i get from the OO, RBO and Avocado oils.

That's not a drama. It's just something to keep this in mind when you evaluate your soap after cure. You might like it personally! “Unbalanced” high-S/low-P soap can be lovely, don't see this as a “law”. Anecdotally, such soaps profit from longer cure times (2 months +), and they might need some more persuasion to get them lather up nicely.
The upside is, when you test your first bar after 3 or 4 weeks, and you already like it, they will only become better with time, and you have fantastic, long-lasting bars of soap, that won't mush up quickly in the soap dish.

Microwave – hmmm. IME, soy wax (or rather the canola wax I'm using) is remarkably slow-tracing, so with a generally slow-moving recipe, stirring might not be sufficient to step up the saponification reaction to produce enough heat, so that the solidification is stopped/reversed. You might give stirring a try, but when you see that it doesn't cut it, reserve the possibility of microwaving (be by a microwave oven, microwave-safe dishes).

Hi I would like to know that after mixing lye and oil if we get false trace we can burst in microwave
I am not the person to ask. I’ve never had to use microwave to reheat a thickening soap batter, but did read on SMF that some experienced soap makers do so on occasion. Maybe start a new thread asking others when/if & for how long?

Latest posts

Back