Soy Wax Users

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I wonder if anyone can confirm which oil to select on soap calc for soy wax? I've just bought some organic, low melt point (48C/122F) soy wax. Ingredients:
INCI: Soybean Oil (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Glycerides (and) Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and) Stearic Acid (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Oil

I'm thinking it would be the fully hydrogenated option but I'm not certain. It didn't have a number to identify it (like eurosoy 800 for example) but it does list the SAP value as 190.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can confirm which oil to select on soap calc for soy wax? I've just bought some organic, low melt point (48C/122F) soy wax. Ingredients:
INCI: Soybean Oil (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Glycerides (and) Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and) Stearic Acid (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Oil

I'm thinking it would be the fully hydrogenated option but I'm not certain. It didn't have a number to identify it (like eurosoy 800 for example) but it does list the SAP value as 190.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.
I'd be cautious and make a small batch. There are lots of ingredients in there. Try the partially hydrogenated option.

Thanks KiwiMoose and Richard Perrine. I found a data sheet for the product and it states that it's 100% hydrogenated but I've written to the supplier to double check as it seems weird that it's 100% based on the ingredients.

KiwiMoose do 'normal' soy waxes usually contain only hydrogenated soybean oil? I normally use cocoa or shea butters so soy wax is something new for me and I know almost nothing about it. I have looked at a number of suppliers here in Spain and they all seem to offer soy wax with similar ingredients (if they bother to list them). I have tried to find eurosoy 800 because I've heard it has no additives, is non-gmo and is produced in Europe but I can only find it in the UK!

Olive - is the soy wax you have solid in flakes? If so then try using the fully hydrogenated option. It's just that my soy wax doesn't list all those ingredients so it kinda had me stumped.
Yes, it's in flakes but they feel quite soft.. I don't really like all those ingredients. What are the ingredients of the soy wax you use? Thanks so much for your feedback.

This might be purely my imagination, but I used a fragrance in one soap and then used it in soap that had soy wax, and I feel like the one with soy wax held the top notes of the fragrance a little better. I wasn't expecting the fragrance to be different, and it could easily have been just a difference in the natural smell of the soap that happened to align with the fragrance slightly. It wasn't a huge difference, and so I wouldn't count on it preserving some delicate fragrance or anything crazy. Fragrance was added to oils/wax before adding lye for both batches.

I wonder how you would calculate it in a recipe since beeswax is harder, denser, and has a higher melting temperature than soy wax.
I suppose looking into candle making tips then seeing what transferable data can be used.

I wonder how you would calculate it in a recipe since beeswax is harder, denser, and has a higher melting temperature than soy wax.
I suppose looking into candle making tips then seeing what transferable data can be used.
I'm not sure what you mean: a lot of lye calculator have sap values for soy wax (which isn't wax) and beeswax (which is wax). They won't accurately measure how much hardness beeswax contributes, since it's mostly unsaponifiable (can't become soap). They usually accurately portray the hardness that soy wax contributes, since it is saponifiable (becomes soap). This is why soy wax can fortify lather, and beeswax kills it. Also in mis-named materials, Jojoba oil is a liquid wax that kills lather because it's mostly unsaponifiable, and it keeps soap from becoming as hard because it's liquid.

I'm not sure what you mean: a lot of lye calculator have sap values for soy wax (which isn't wax) and beeswax (which is wax). They won't accurately measure how much hardness beeswax contributes, since it's mostly unsaponifiable (can't become soap). They usually accurately portray the hardness that soy wax contributes, since it is saponifiable (becomes soap). This is why soy wax can fortify lather, and beeswax kills it. Also in mis-named materials, Jojoba oil is a liquid wax that kills lather because it's mostly unsaponifiable, and it keeps soap from becoming as hard because it's liquid.

Oh ok I'm confused. I'm new so when I hear soy wax I'm thinking of what people are making candles out of. So what are we actually talking about?

Then how is it not a wax? Isn't it in the name? I'm confused by what you mean. Can you please elaborate?
It's fully hydrogenated soybean oil. Attached is screenshot of a Google search of soy wax composition, and a pic of my 4-day-old soap with soy wax, which would absolutely not be lathering nearly this well if it was 15% actual wax. Feel free to Google why it was hydrogenated soy wax was mis-named, (my guess is marketing/sales), but it makes both candles and soap.

Attachments

• 16142105904312071939411774834668.jpg
    16142105904312071939411774834668.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210224-174832.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224-174832.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 17
It's fully hydrogenated soybean oil. Attached is screenshot of a Google search of soy wax composition, and a pic of my 4-day-old soap with soy wax, which would absolutely not be lathering nearly this well if it was 15% actual wax. Feel free to Google why it was hydrogenated soy wax was mis-named, (my guess is marketing/sales), but it makes both candles and soap.
Oh so it was a "mis-name" of sorts. Thank you. Nice to know the other name for it so I can find it on every calculator now (I like to cross reference the same recipe on different calculators to make sure everything is a "good idea" before I accidentally blow up my kitchen lol)

I am from India, and the climate in my city is now very hot at
35 Celsius. I did get some soywax for making soaps. I need to know if I have to refrigerate it or can keep it in the room temperature?

I keep my soy wax in room temperature, but the room temperature for me is never above 75 as I do my soaping in the basement. I believe the melting point is above 115F or 46C, right? So, it should be okay for now.

I am from India, and the climate in my city is now very hot at
35 Celsius. I did get some soywax for making soaps. I need to know if I have to refrigerate it or can keep it in the room temperature?

I do NOT refrigerate my soy wax, but I also don't keep it in location where temperatures reach above 110°F (like my uninsulated garage in the summertime), so it never melts until I choose to melt it for making soap. I think it depends on how hot it gets where you normally store your soy wax. If your house is comfortable to you for daily living, I suspect it is okay as long as the melting point of your particular soy wax is fairly below that temperature.

My soy wax has a melting point of 49° C, so I don't keep it in my garage, which can easily reach that temperature in the height of summer and autumn. Of course I don't keep any oils in the garage except in the winter as the temperatures can fluctuate far too much in an uninsulated environment and that's just not good for the oils.

Latest posts

Back