Soy Wax Users

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to reach out to all CP soapers who use Soy Wax in their recipes. I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about genetic modification, or hydrogenation or veganism or anti-palm. I just want to discuss the benefits/issues/drawbacks related to using soy wax in soap.

Is there anybody out there who uses it? Let's talk!:)

I've used it when I was testing vegan/palm free recipes. I think I used it at the most at 10%, along with cocoa butter. It made a nice, hard bar. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but even at 5% it works well. I am always leery of too much butter killing the lather.

I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about genetic modification, or hydrogenation or veganism or anti-palm.

Well that's no fun! I was ready for the mud-slinging to commence. :p

I'm interested to know how many others out there soap with SW. I think we may be rare breed.

I currently use SW @ 40% and get great lather with 10% lauric+myristic.

Last edited:
Nope never used it simply because - well - it's soy and conjurs up so many negative thoughts.

However, I've been find using soaps with a small amount of soy oil in the past. And because Dean and someone else have been excited about it I would consider it if there was a really "clean" source.

Somebody here (can't remember) uses it at 40%. I don't love GMO, but I'm all for using a crop that can be grown widely, that improves the soil (thus reducing need for fertilizer) and feeds people and animals. I don't care for regular soybean oil in soap - I think it doesn't bring much to the table, vs something like rice bran or sunflower that is also inexpensive but brings more to the table.

Somebody here (can't remember) uses it at 40%. I don't love GMO, but I'm all for using a crop that can be grown widely, that improves the soil (thus reducing need for fertilizer) and feeds people and animals. I don't care for regular soybean oil in soap - I think it doesn't bring much to the table, vs something like rice bran or sunflower that is also inexpensive but brings more to the table.
Yes I’m a big lover of rice bran at present.

Because I’m basically lazy - what’s the benefit of rice bran oil? I want to play around with a new recipe and it may be a fun one to try!
It's also a high oleic oil that costs less than olive oil, which I read, is what it's similar to when you soap with it.

No info in soy wax, sorry. I was thinking to try it but have not had the time to research. Even here it's less costly than cocoa or shea butter. I also do not use palm and don't have access to tallow or lard. Beeswax costs between those, but I've only tried it once, and the properties are way different then soy so can't really help lol

It's also a high oleic oil that costs less than olive oil, which I read, is what it's similar to when you soap with it.

No info in soy wax, sorry. I was thinking to try it but have not had the time to research. Even here it's less costly than cocoa or shea butter. I also do not use palm and don't have access to tallow or lard. Beeswax costs between those, but I've only tried it once, and the properties are way different then soy so can't really help lol

I’d send u some if u weren’t so far and away. It’s fab!

Because I’m basically lazy - what’s the benefit of rice bran oil? I want to play around with a new recipe and it may be a fun one to try!
It's higher in palmitic, plus it adds a bit more creaminess to the lather. And it is sooooo cheap!

And how was good was the finished bar? Hope it was impressive enough. Thanks
The bars are lovely to use. You can even leave them soaking in their own water and they retain firmness without turning to sludge. Here's some pics:
fullsizeoutput_4da2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4d81.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4d4c.jpeg
IMG_0546.JPG

Ive used it in HP and found it improved the texture.
You mean soy wax?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. For the firmness (even when wet), I will surely get some soy wax to try soon.

Love the soap pictures. Thanks
That purple one (daphne scented) I gave to a friend to try (after I had sampled it myself and was very happy with the texture and found it to be quite creamy and soft feeling) and she LOVED it. She said she doesn't usually like bar soap because she has dry skin and it usually makes it worse. However she said this left her hands feeling quite moisturised and soft.

Recipe (remember I have been dubbed Princess Poly-Oil by @Dean):
Apricot Kernel Oil: 15%
Babassu Oil: 10%
Castor Oil: 10%
Coconut Oil: 15%
Olive Oil: 20%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soy Wax (415): 20%

Lye Conc: 30%
Super Fat: 5%

Hi there
I use soy wax in a few of my small batches. I have several customers who requested it and they love it. I use it at 15% to 20% and it makes the lather feel creamier but doesn't reduce it at all. It also add hardness. I make both HP and CP. Tj

Attachments

• 20190118_123244.jpg
    20190118_123244.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 88
Back