Soy Wax Use in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
While going through files, I found this helpful information about using soy wax in hard bars so I'm posting it here. I believe "Bunny" was an SMF member at one time and a few members may remember her fondly as I do. She was one of my mentors when I first started making soap. I will always be grateful to her for sharing her wisdom and sage advice.

SOY WAX
Bunny
Posted: Apr 16 2003, 09:17 AM

You can make great soap with it. No, you don't use it in place of beeswax in soap... beeswax and soy wax have different qualities. Here's what I have found about soy wax in soap (from my own experience):

1. Soy wax greatly reduces shrinkage/warping in soap bars.

2. Soy wax does not add lather, so you should not use more than say 50% of it in your soap. The more soy wax you use, the more of a good lathering oil you need to use in addition to it.

3. It adds density and creaminess to the lather, which is a plus in soaps that are heavy on the coconut or PKO oil.

4. It makes a great co-partner with olive oil. They complement each other well in the recipes. Use 25% or more olive and 25% soy wax. Add some coconut or PKO as well, and about 10% castor.. you'll get a killer soap.

5. It is non-drying in soap, and non-irritating.

6. It takes color EXTREMELY well, and helps anchor scent extremely well.

7. It can be "plugged in" to the regular "soybean oil" slot in the lye calculators as it has the exact same SAP value as soybean oil.

HAPPY SOAPING! :dance:

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing! Is soy wax you refer to the same soy wax people use for making candles, e.g. C3?

thanks for the info @Marsi! Would love to try this out, but it looks like GW415 is unavailable in the UK. Most soy wax types are sold out at the moment, and the ones that aren't don't explicitly state "100% hydrogenated soy wax" :oops:

@ilonaliss I use Eurosoy800 from Livemore, it's lovely in soap. I have used it as high as 26% with no issues but have now settled down to 10-12%. You just need to get used to soaping at a higher temperature and I find that I need to CPOP but it's all second nature to me now:thumbs:

ah what a great find! you guys are the best :nodding: I am just to about to buy some.

thanks for the heads-up @SeaSuds! I've never CPOPed my soaps before so this is going to be an interesting experiment. what's also going to be interesting is finding storage space for the ~10 kg of soaping materials I recently ordered

ah what a great find! you guys are the best :nodding: I am just to about to buy some.

thanks for the heads-up @SeaSuds! I've never CPOPed my soaps before so this is going to be an interesting experiment. what's also going to be interesting is finding storage space for the ~10 kg of soaping materials I recently ordered
Haha - you'll make room! We have all been there. Have you got 100 FOs yet??

Actually, why does soap with soy wax need to be CPOPed? I thought that this was only required when using high% of liquid oils, soaping at low temps, and using natural colorants?

Hello everyone.
I am new here and I just found this thread, which is very interesting to me as I just did my fourth batch of soap yesterday and used 30% “soy wax” on it. I actually put my entire batch in the fridge because I also substitute 20% of distilled water with “cow whole milk” and I was trying to prevent scorching. I am experimenting with recipes: I would like to keep my soap vegetarian and palm free. Hopefully I’ll get decent results!

Actually, why does soap with soy wax need to be CPOPed? I thought that this was only required when using high% of liquid oils, soaping at low temps, and using natural colorants?
CPOP can also be used to:

1. reduce the likelihood of soda ash (because it speeds up saponification, which more quickly reduces the amount of unsaponified lye);

2. brighten or deepen any colors used, including micas, not just natural colors; and

3. speed up unmolding time. I don't personally find this to be the case for my recipe, but others do.

Cpop ..will someone explain what that is please ?
Cpop=Cold Process/Oven Process. Turn on the oven and let it heat to 170*F. After pouring soap into the mold, pop it into the heated oven and turn off the oven. Let soap set for several hours in the oven. This forces the soap to go through an extended gel phase. I usually leave my soap in the oven overnight to be sure it goes through full gel.

Back