Soy wax questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antigua

Reaction score
Hi, I am also a newbie to candle making. I am hoping someone will be able to help me in regards to picking a good soy wax that has been successful with hot and cold throws with fragrance oils. Anyones input with bluegrass supply or mill creek supply, and if there are any other types that one would suggest with excellent hot throws, little frosting, and good adhesion to containers, i would love to know your suggestions.

I would stay far away from BG and any products they sell since I have read from many that have posted stating they have huge stocking problems thereby making it very difficult to get supplies. They are always out of supplies for weeks and weeks and have quite the consistency problem. This can cause for many problems for a chandler since we have to be able to rely on our supplies to get our supplies and if we find a particular fo that sells well fo us, we lose customers when we can't keep that scent on the shelf because it is always out of stock with the supplier.

Most suppliers that carry a pure or 100% soy will carry the GF brand 415 but under their own name. 415 is an excellent soy but does have some frosting issues and needs to be poured slushy. Most 100% soys have this same problem. I do believe that MC's pure soy is 415 as is the EZSoy and KY's. Since all waxes have their issues that the chandler must work out, I would suggest finding a supplier nearest you to save on shipping and trying the soy that they carry. What I like and the quirks of the wax I am willing to live with might be different than what you like or the quirks you are willing to live with. You will need to test different waxes to find what works best for you.

Depending on where you live, shipping a 50lb box of wax can cost as much if not more than that box of wax. And my guess is that it will be some time before you are needed to buy in the quantities that will give you a price break. Keeping shipping costs down will save so much money; money that can be spent on other wonderful supplies and fos.

Thank you for your response

That makes sense about finding a close source. I have not seem yet to find any in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

In addition to my past reply

Anybody know anything about GW 464 and Cargill Waxes? Good results?

Here is a list of suppliers by state that might be helpful.

http://www.candleandsoapstuff.com/Suppl ... State.html

I don't use the cargill waxes. but did once test the 464. The 464 is a soy blend that is blended with a soy based additive. I You can pour this wax at a higher temp than you can a pure soy but unlike pure soy, it does not do well when you add BW to it. I've read some pretty good reviews on this one but have also read where some have posted that the scent seems to get weaker as the candle burns. I did not note that in my tests and wonder if those that experienced this just were not suffering from candle nose. But, I did not do extensive testing on it as I only received for free a small amount that I was only able to test 2 candles with.

Wow thanks for the list!

I really appreciate the list. That gives me a comprehensive amount to look at!. I was looking at fragranceoilheaven.com and greenleaf candle supply.
Have you ever heard of the pure soy blend that greenleaf makes? I was reading on their message board about the success this person had with their wax. Looks impressive! i might try that one. It is not a one pour but it sounds like people have had great results!

I've not tried GL's wax but I have tried their oils and have not been disappointed. They are a good company to deal with. So is FOH.

Latest posts

Back