Soy wax in cp soaps - India

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to use the oven because it's there and easier. However, in the summertime here it works just as well to wrap them in towels and put them in the garage ( uninsulated) where it is about 30 - 33 degrees celsius) . I use loaf molds which gel no problem, and cavity molds which require a bit of encouragement (CPOP usually).

i know you said you stopped using sodium lactate for hardness, I think? Do you use Stearic Acid to help with hardness or anything? From what I've read on the forum, it can be a real pain to work with in CP soap...

Last edited:
i know you said you stopped using sodium lactate for hardness, I think? Do you use Stearic Acid to help with hardness or anything? From what I've read on the forum, it can be a real pain to work with in CP soap...
I just choose oils/fats that are high in stearic acid. If your recipe has stearic + palmitic fatty acid values totalling over 35% you should be OK in that department. With the exception of OO - which doesn't show as much of anything hard in the calculators, but it is after a good long cure. Especially if you make @Zany_in_CO's no-slime castile.

Hi..I purchased soy wax from Art Vaatika Institute. The cost is ₹295/kg which is cheaper than vijay impex & Vedaoils. I'll be making a test batch next week. Will report back

Now back with an update. I made a test batch yesterday with 10% soy wax and remaining oils being coconut, olive, palm, ricebran, castor and neem with 30% lye concentration. The batter took a little longer to reach trace and was really happy with the way it performed. Will update after 4 weeks...

@KiwiMoose I assume that you cure your soaps for 6 weeks. What's the weight of your single soap bar and how many washes(approx) the soap stays in shower??
An average bar is about 105 - 110 grams. They usually last about 8-10 days in the shower, with both of us using it each day - so that's 16-20 washes. I usually wrap a washcloth around it though, so it wears down a lot quicker that way than when my hubby uses it just rubbing it straight on his body.

An average bar is about 105 - 110 grams. They usually last about 8-10 days in the shower, with both of us using it each day - so that's 16-20 washes. I usually wrap a washcloth around it though, so it wears down a lot quicker that way than when my hubby uses it just rubbing it straight on his body.
Okay..Thanks😊

Hi..Can I use soy wax soaps for my son who is 6 yrs old? Now I'm using a Bastille soap and he finishes a 100g soap in just a week😀😀..Can I go ahead with the recipe given below
Coconut 15, Pomace olive 50, soy wax 20, castor 5 & Shea 10??

Yes - that's the recipe I've been using as standard for over three years.
@KiwiMoose, what superfat% do you and hubby prefer? I have it at 5% but thinking it may be a little too drying. Thinking of trying maybe 8%? I've heard a rule of thumb is to use a superfat of half of the cleansing number. That would be 10% superfat? Do you think that'd be too high?

I'm Using close to this recipe accept using all OO and no RBO since I don't have access to it.

@KiwiMoose, what superfat% do you and hubby prefer? I have it at 5% but thinking it may be a little too drying. Thinking of trying maybe 8%? I've heard a rule of thumb is to use a superfat of half of the cleansing number. That would be 10% superfat? Do you think that'd be too high?

I'm Using close to this recipe accept using all OO and no RBO since I don't have access to it.
I'm down to 3% superfat, sometimes 2%. I don't like too much residue which is why I cut the superfat. If your recipe is too drying, I would look at your amount of CO, and perhaps sensitivity to other oils. Some of our SMF members don't like OO for example.
My cleansing number is 14 - so using your rule of thumb I would go for 7% superfat. But I just don't like it that high.

I'm down to 3% superfat, sometimes 2%. I don't like too much residue which is why I cut the superfat. If your recipe is too drying, I would look at your amount of CO, and perhaps sensitivity to other oils. Some of our SMF members don't like OO for example.
My cleansing number is 14 - so using your rule of thumb I would go for 7% superfat. But I just don't like it that high.
Thank you. I live in a very dry climate with very little humidity. The dryness isn't bad really. I'll give to some testers to see what they think soon, before changing too much.

Thank you. I live in a very dry climate with very little humidity. The dryness isn't bad really. I'll give to some testers to see what they think soon, before changing too much.
There are so many variables. I would love to live in a dry climate. I don't cope well with humidity and ours is always pretty high. See what the other people think first. Have you tried avocado oil? I love that - even at just 5% I find it makes a difference.

Denver has low humidity and a dry Alpine Desert Climate, so "drying" soaps can be a problem here as well.

I agree with @KiwiMoose -- I soap at 0% - 5% depending on the formula. Adjusting your coconut oil / cleansing number down a little might be a better option. Also, "The longer the cure, the better the soap". It may be too soon to judge whether your current batch is drying or not. Give it some time before adjusting the formula. All soaps "peak" at different times. If you use it too soon, that may be what is causing the dryness. That is something you will learn over time.

For example, I can start using ZNSC with its dense creamy lather on my face at the 2-week mark, although it does get better the longer it cures. It is NOT drying at all; just the opposite. 4-6 weeks is standard for other bars. I no longer make soaps that take 3 months to a year to cure like some formulas do.

Denver has low humidity and a dry Alpine Desert Climate, so "drying" soaps can be a problem here as well.

I agree with @KiwiMoose -- I soap at 0% - 5% depending on the formula. Adjusting your coconut oil / cleansing number down a little might be a better option. Also, "The longer the cure, the better the soap". It may be too soon to judge whether your current batch is drying or not. Give it some time before adjusting the formula. All soaps "peak" at different times. If you use it too soon, that may be what is causing the dryness. That is something you will learn over time.

For example, I can start using ZNSC with its dense creamy lather on my face at the 2-week mark, although it does get better the longer it cures. It is NOT drying at all; just the opposite. 4-6 weeks is standard for other bars. I no longer make soaps that take 3 months to a year to cure like some formulas do.
Sounds good. I live in northern Az. I'll test again in a couple weeks

I'll test again in a couple weeks
FWIW, I always make a little extra sample to keep in a soap dish at my kitchen sink. Sometimes I have as many as 6 little soaps in that dish at a time. It's a good way to check the progress of the soap on a daily basis as it cures. Take note of what it does and when it happens to hit that sweet spot.

FWIW, I always make a little extra sample to keep in a soap dish at my kitchen sink. Sometimes I have as many as 6 little soaps in that dish at a time. It's a good way to check the progress of the soap on a daily basis as it cures. Take note of what it does and when it happens to hit that sweet spot.
Good call. I'll keep a small notebook close by my test soaps. 😊

Yes, go ahead. The recipe looks fine 🙂
This recipe is safe to use for a 2 yr old baby right? I'm little hesitant to use soy wax for small kids..That's why wanted to get suggestion from an expert.
I replaced 15% of olive with rice bran..Added milk as replacement for water and 2 teaspoons of herbal ubtan powder(mixture of 16 herbal powders)..will share pictures tomorrow..

Back