Soy wax in cp soaps - India

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
Hai..
I would like to try a batch of cp soap using soy wax. Thank you so much @KiwiMoose and @Zany_in_CO for the information that you've provided regarding soy wax usage and all the threads were really interesting. Has anyone from India tried soy wax in their cp soaps? Veda oils provide soy wax for a reasonable price and I'm very much eager to try it. Waiting for a reply...Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Hi
I recently made a test batch with soy wax and no palm. The bar was rock hard! I think I used it at 18%
Used soy flakes from Vijay Impex for that batch. Just ordered soy chunks from Bizpressions to test out to see if there is a difference

Okkayy. I just realized the soy chunks on Bizpression are 464 and not 415 😢
Soy wax 464 is mostly used for candles it seems.

Is the link to the COA and MSDS working for you on Veda oils btw?

Okkayy. I just realized the soy chunks on Bizpression are 464 and not 415 😢
Soy wax 464 is mostly used for candles it seems.

Is the link to the COA and MSDS working for you on Veda oils btw?
Oh ok ok. Actually I tried to order soy wax from Veda but it is out of stock itseems and the links are not working too. I'll speak to the customer care and get back to u.

Oh ok

Used soy flakes from Vijay Impex for that batch
Oh ok. Did you use it?? What variety of soy wax does Vijay impex sell? Can it be used for soap making?

Oh ok. Did you use it?? What variety of soy wax does Vijay impex sell? Can it be used for soap making?
Going by the ingredient list it says "100% hydrogenated vegetable oil without mineral wax"

Attachments

• Soya Wax COA.jpg
    Soya Wax COA.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi I have been making cp soaps using soy wax for last one year. After reading @KiwiMoose thread. And my soaps looked so creamy and became long lasting without becoming massy. It remains hard till end I buy my wax from Amazon ikalaa soy wax

Hi I have been making cp soaps using soy wax for last one year. After reading @KiwiMoose thread. And my soaps looked so creamy and became long lasting without becoming massy. It remains hard till end I buy my wax from Amazon ikalaa soy wax
That's really great. What other oils do you use in your soap and if u don't mind sharing, could you please tell me how much % of soy wax you've used?

That's really great. What other oils do you use in your soap and if u don't mind sharing, could you please tell me how much % of soy wax you've used?
I use 10% of soy wax, canola oil, coconut oil,castor oil,kokum butter, olive oil pomoce and sustainable palm oil.

Hi..I purchased soy wax from Art Vaatika Institute. The cost is ₹295/kg which is cheaper than vijay impex & Vedaoils. I'll be making a test batch next week. Will report back. COA has been attached🙂

sustainable palm oil.
Hi..Where do you purchase sustainable palm??

Attachments

• SAVE_20221125_234537.jpg
    SAVE_20221125_234537.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 0
I use a palm-free recipe:
20% soy wax, 20% CO, 20% RBO, 20% OO, 10% Shea butter, 5% each of castor and avocado.

The RBO, Avocado ( and OO somewhat) are quite high in palmitic fatty acid so help to increase that component of the recipe.

More recently I have been on a mission to reduce oleic gel or 'slime' in the finished product, so I have reduced the amount of OO to only 10% and added 5% more to the soy wax and 5% cocoa butter. I am happier with this product, but it does need to be gelled otherwise it can go crumbly.

20% soy wax, 20% CO, 20% RBO, 20% OO, 10% Shea butter, 5% each of castor and avocado.

The RBO, Avocado ( and OO somewhat) are quite high in palmitic fatty acid so help to increase that component of the recipe.

More recently I have been on a mission to reduce oleic gel or 'slime' in the finished product, so I have reduced the amount of OO to only 10% and added 5% more to the soy wax and 5% cocoa butter. I am happier with this product, but it does need to be gelled otherwise it can go crumbly.
Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. So kind of u🙏🙏

@KiwiMoose I came across this post and wondering how your change of recipe to get rid of 'slime" went. Does the above recipe accomplish that? You say you added 5% cocoa butter but I don't see it in the original recipe. Are you saying you now use 5% each of caster, avocado and cocoa butter?

Also, what is the best way to gell this? Does that mean we have to heat it up using a heating pad, or will covering and wrapping with a blanket do it?

@KiwiMoose I came across this post and wondering how your change of recipe to get rid of 'slime" went. Does the above recipe accomplish that? You say you added 5% cocoa butter but I don't see it in the original recipe. Are you saying you now use 5% each of caster, avocado and cocoa butter?

Also, what is the best way to gell this? Does that mean we have to heat it up using a heating pad, or will covering and wrapping with a blanket do it?
"so I reduced the amount of OO to only 10% and added 5% more to the soy wax and 5% cocoa butter"

I only did it a few times until I was unable to get cocoa butter at a decent price any more - but too be honest I had a few issues wiht the cocoa butter and streaky 'stearic swirls', plus it was brittle. I also stopped using sodium lactate for similar reasons and now my soap is a lot happier. I usually gel by CPOPping, but the methods you describe could work equally as well. Four dependents are the size of your mold (big molds gel easier), your recipe ( how inclined it is to heat up i.e CO gels more easily than OO), your lye concentration ( between 28 - 33% will gel more easily than 35% +) and your FO ( is it inclined to heat up).

This link is helpful.

"so I reduced the amount of OO to only 10% and added 5% more to the soy wax and 5% cocoa butter"

I only did it a few times until I was unable to get cocoa butter at a decent price any more - but too be honest I had a few issues wiht the cocoa butter and streaky 'stearic swirls', plus it was brittle. I also stopped using sodium lactate for similar reasons and now my soap is a lot happier. I usually gel by CPOPping, but the methods you describe could work equally as well. Four dependents are the size of your mold (big molds gel easier), your recipe ( how inclined it is to heat up i.e CO gels more easily than OO), your lye concentration ( between 28 - 33% will gel more easily than 35% +) and your FO ( is it inclined to heat up).

This link is helpful.
"I use a palm-free recipe:
20% soy wax, 20% CO, 20% RBO, 20% OO, 10% Shea butter, 5% each of castor and avocado."

Do you find this recipe, without the addition of the cocoa butter, to still be ok? Looking to try a vegan, palm free option, and this is the only recipe from someone here I can find to try first. Do you recommend using it still, or have you since changed your mind, or changed the recipe? Thanks for the help on a good starting point.

Also thanks for the info on gelling. I'm getting some oils and supplies so just trying to educate myself and get ready to give everything a go! :)

"I use a palm-free recipe:
20% soy wax, 20% CO, 20% RBO, 20% OO, 10% Shea butter, 5% each of castor and avocado."

Do you find this recipe, without the addition of the cocoa butter, to still be ok? Looking to try a vegan, palm free option, and this is the only recipe from someone here I can find to try first. Do you recommend using it still, or have you since changed your mind, or changed the recipe? Thanks for the help on a good starting point.

Also thanks for the info on gelling. I'm getting some oils and supplies so just trying to educate myself and get ready to give everything a go! :)
Yes - that's the recipe I've been using as standard for over three years.

Yes - that's the recipe I've been using as standard for over three years.
@KiwiMoose, thanks for the gelling video. So helpful! How is the gelling with your recipe? Do you use loaf molds? Do you find that you need to wrap them to gel completely? Or, with this recipe do you find yourself using the oven? Thank you.

***nevermiind...I saw you explained your gelling in a post up above. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back