Soy Wax Cuticle Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Some years ago I did a search for a product to use to strengthen nails. Almost all of them contained almond oil. So, with that information in hand, I combined sweet almond oil with bitter almond essential oil 50/50 and used it to make the following nail & cuticle balm:

CONTAINER SOY WAX CUTICLE BALM
10.5 oz. makes 52 mini compacts (5 grams)

Ingredients: Soy wax, cocoa butter, shea butter, almond oil, almond essential oil, avocado oil, vitamin E, essential oils.

5 oz. Soy Wax (120°) 47.6%
2 oz. Almond Oil (50/50), & Avocado Oil (optional) 19%
1.5 oz. Cocoa Butter 14.3%
1.5 oz. Shea Butter 14.3%
0.5 oz. fragrance (optional) (BB's Almond Biscotti FO)
10.5 oz. TOTAL 100%

Melt oils, soy wax, and cocoa butter until completely liquid. Melt in short 45 second bursts in a microwave, stirring between each time. Once fully melted, add the Shea butter in small chunks to allow the heat of liquid wax and oils to melt it. Add fragrance or essential oil and mix well. Pour 5 grams each into mini compacts. Allow to cool to room temp for an hour before capping.

TO USE: Use the thumb pad of one hand to swipe enough balm to massage into the cuticles and nails of the other hand. Repeat with the other thumb. I do this while watching TV. I also carry a mini compact in my purse and use it while sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office or other places while standing in line.

Bump Rabbit.gif
Bumping this for members with extra soy wax laying around collecting dust...

View attachment 42415 Bumping this for members with extra soy wax laying around collecting dust...
That's funny. I keep my soy wax in an airtight container, so it doesn't collect any dust.

But I may give this a try. But of course I'll scale it down a lot simply because that's a whole lot of cuticle balm! Thank you for the recipe and jogging the following memory.

You know in my youth when I had a very nice income and lots of disposable income, I used to spend a stupid amount of money on a cuticle oil in a teeny tiny little bottle that I'd brush onto my cuticles then massage into the nail as you describe. I read the ingredients list once, and it was plain old olive oil and the bottle was so tiny it held less than a tenth of an ounce. I don't recall what I was paying for that, but it was surely the most expensive oil I had ever purchased when you look at the price per ounce! I stopped buying it when I realized that.

...I read the ingredients list once, and it was plain old olive oil and the bottle was so tiny it held less than a tenth of an ounce.
:eek: Shocking! And funny too! :D

Dust off your soy wax and have a go. I rounded off the %'s for you:
48% Soy Wax (120°F, 49°C)
19% Almond Oil or Avocado Oil or (50/50)
14% Cocoa Butter
14% Shea Butter

Last edited:
I'm going to give this a try. I have a one nail that has been splitting perpendicular to the edge for about two years now. My doc doesn't seem to think it's anything to worry about, but it's really annoying. I have to cut my nail back to nothing and it always look weird.

I'm going to give this a try. I have a one nail that has been splitting perpendicular to the edge for about two years now. My doc doesn't seem to think it's anything to worry about, but it's really annoying. I have to cut my nail back to nothing and it always look weird.

Me, too, Mobjack, only now it's two nails doing that. It is totally annoying! My mom had one nail that split that way and if she let it grow, which she normally did, it would actually split like a cloven hoof and grow to a long split nail. I know it wasn't that way when she was young. So I was thinking it could be a genetic thing why mine started doing it, but her fingernails were much thicker than mine and they just won't grow out very well at the split. And now with 2 of them (the second just started this very week) it's getting really bothersome.

I have a one nail that has been splitting perpendicular to the edge for about two years now.
Sorry to tell ya, this cuticle balm ain't going to correct split nails. I know because I had that condition 2 weeks ago. Keeping the cuticle moisturized (oil) and protected from water (wax) is the best it can do.

I've since become more diligent about wearing gloves when washing dishes, keeping my nails short, and I've started taking Biotin (2500 mcg) and the difference is remarkable.

Everyone's metabolism is different so what works for me may not work for you. There's beaucoup info on treating split nails on the internet. Check it out.

No, I did not think it would, Zany. I am sure it is more along the lines of a medical related issue that an external application cannot correct. Sometimes vitamin deficiencies, sometimes specific medical conditions, sometimes medications, sometimes injuries. I have had injuries cause permanent changes in two of my nails (a toenail from dropping something heavy on it - it's never been the same since; and a fingernail caught in a door - a permanent ridge grows out along the length of the nail originating from the area where the scar from the damage near the nail bed occurred when the locked door was slammed on my finger - did this one myself and had to perform some difficult maneuvers to get the key out of my pocket so I could unlock the door with my none-dominant hand) so I know those are easily explainable.

In my case my psoriasis is a possible contributor, as no other disease I have is a known contributor and I have no identified vitamin deficiencies (my doctors do check periodically because they tend to believe that vegetarians often suffer from vitamin deficiencies.)

a permanent ridge grows out along the length of the nail originating from the area where the scar from the damage near the nail bed occurred when the locked door was slammed on my finger - did this one myself and had to perform some difficult maneuvers to get the key out of my pocket
I SO agree with everything you said, Earlene. Funny enough, I once slammed a car door on 4 fingers. I was sitting shotgun, my sister next to me, and my SIL in the drivers seat. We had just finished a nice lunch together (Honolulu), it was raining, and I jumped into my seat after my sister got settled and reached through the window, grabbed the door at the top and slammed it. On my fingers! All three of us were howling with laughter (too many Mai Tais!) I refused to open the door back up because then I knew it would hurt! Thankfully, no permanent damage. :D

Latest posts

Back