Soy Candles driving us crazy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrywilson

Reaction score
We are using ecosoya CB pure soy container wax and we are pouring them into 8 14 and 16 oz glass containers. We are using the HTP-073 cotton wicks from WSP and we are finding that some of our candles from the same batch are cracking around the wicks on top of the candle. We are also getting white lines in the wax on the sides of the container (only on some) and not others from the same batch. We are using 8% fragrance from Alabaster Candle and Fragrance which falls in their recommended range. Also we are getting water drops forming on the top of the candles when burning them. Does anyone have some advice for us because we have tried several suggestions so far with little success. We are also getting large air pockets in between the candle and the sides of the jars. We have tried insulating them and heating them prior to pouring and done it without heating and we still get them. This also occurs on the "Honeywell IGI container wax" candles as well. I have one other question our melt pool is not very wide with the soy wax what is usually the cause of this because we're sure we have the right wicks. We welcome any and all advice. Thank you Kevin & Sherry

It sounds like your candles are frosting, getting wet spots and you need to wick up.

Frosting - white ring and wet spots - where the candle pulls away from the jar are no big deal and won't affect the burn or throw. It is just cosmetic. Take a look at the candles of the big boys and you will see the same things on their candles. You just never notice until you start to make your own.

Soy will frost on you which can be more visible if you dye your candles. Undyed candles will frost as well. To help alleviate it, some will add BW, USA or some paraffin. You will have to play around with amounts to determine what works best for you. The range for the BW is 1-5% but over 5% can cause cracking and having to wick up.

With the cracks around your wick, just hit the tops with a heat gun and that will take care of that. As far as air pockets go, when your candle sets up, poke holes in and do a repour. You could be getting airpockets from pouring too fast, stirring air into the wax right before pouring and even pouring too hot can cause it.

What is the diameter of your jar? It sounds like the 73s are way too small for your jar. In soy, a 73 most likely work for something a bit wider than a votive so they aren't very big wicks. Wick up to see if that helps you get a better melt pool. Also, HTPs are self trimming wicks and will bend when burning which will cause some hang up on one side of the jar - the jar that the wick bends away from. If properly wicked, this hang up will melt down.

When you say "wick up" does this mean a longer wick or does it mean I need to order a wick for a larger diameter container (thicker wick) ?? We are still learning the candle language...both my husband and I are a little bit of perfectionists so we really would like to eliminate the bubbles. We will definitely try some of your suggestions. Thank you

sherrywilson said:
When you say "wick up" does this mean a longer wick or does it mean I need to order a wick for a larger diameter container (thicker wick) ?? We are still learning the candle language...both my husband and I are a little bit of perfectionists so we really would like to eliminate the bubbles. We will definitely try some of your suggestions. Thank you

Wicking up means to use a larger wick. It sounds like the wick is too small which means it won't burn hot enough to get you a full mp.

Sometimes, too you might just need to change to a different wick all together to get a good burn and throw. The hardest part is getting the wicking down.

If you find that after doing all the suggestion and still have lots of air bubbles, you can also try tapping the side of the jar to get the air bubbles to release. Let us know how it goes.

Back