Sourcing neutral colorants?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arlinaallen

Reaction score
Hi Friends!

I'd like to try and make wood grain soaps but I'm not sure where to get the brown colorants. I have a bunch of color micas but no brown. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

I get most of my micas from Nurture Soap. Mocha Brown is a rich, dark brown. You can change the shade by adding less colorant or white to part of the batch to lighten, and adding a little red, orange, etc. to the lighter shade will also change the color for variation. Cocoa powder also works well for a brown color. A small amount of black or dark gray is also a nice addition in woodgrain.

Welcome from another Idahoan! I like Nurture's Mocha Brown, as well. I have often used cocoa powder and carob powder for brown, too, but do find that they thicken my batter pretty quickly.

Hi Friends!

I'd like to try and make wood grain soaps but I'm not sure where to get the brown colorants. I have a bunch of color micas but no brown. Any recommendations are much appreciated!
Did you try using turmeric? I have tries a few time and the bars turned out dark brown.

Latest posts

Back