sourcing fair trade shea butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycophile

Reaction score
Does anyone have a favored source of fair trade shea butter? The fair trade part is important to me. I've found that SheaMoisture provides fair trade raw shea butter at 1$/oz at 15oz. Has anyone found another supplier that sells at higher amounts? Cheaper would be preferred, but I understand the need to compensate labor. Thanks :)

baraka also sells coconut oil, palm oil, and cocoa butter!
Yes! Their Shea is produced by village women using traditional methods.

Expensive though, at small quantities, at least where I am. Best to buy bulk..

Thanks so much for this question! I am also really interested in fair trade ingredients. I bought some from Baraka a while back but when it arrived I noticed that the fair trade certification is a "community certification". It
does not seem to be regulated by any organization and I worry about the power dynamic that this sets up within the community. Their website is has so much great information that sadly just doesn't answer this question. New Directions Aromatics has Ecocert Shea butter which seems better regulated, but I would really welcome more into on that. Also there doesn't seem to be any fair trade mango butter in the world, what's up with that?

Latest posts

Back