Sourcing Colorants and Clay Additives from Clay/Pottery Supply House

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MSDS should be available from anyone that sells the dyes in question AND the current MSDS's must show the hazards to human contact both short and long term IF they are known.

I worked in a materials lab for years and I had to maintain MSDS files on every cleaner I used as well as the chemicals and materials the were being used in the actual lab procedures. This should not be all that difficult to get the MSDS but you may need to talk to a member of management. MSDS should come with every shipment of the dye or at least information on where and how to get it.

Reading the MDSD can be much more difficult than getting it if you don't speak technical fluently.

I read this thread because I too am thinking about researching these sources for colorants. If I am able to find a store within 50 miles I will stop in and check sometime this week. I will report any information I get as to the safety and hazards of using these sources as soon as I know something.

Steve

Wonderful, Steve! Thanks. I speak a little Spanish and American Sign Language and I am fluent in English and Knitting but, I don't speak Technical at all. I would love a translation. :)

I haven't got over to the pottery shop yet but I'll try to in the next few days.

If I read the MSDS sheets for EO's they are not to be taken internally. Some also warn about prolonged contact with the skin and we still use both EO's and FO's in soaps routinely. I my self would rather err on the side of caution since the soaps I make are being used by friends and family. I'll head over to Clay in motion and see where they tell me to go.:)

Bear in mind that MSDS is referring to the product 'as-is' - you do not want pure EO in contact with your skin for too long, that is for sure. Put some in a little plastic disposable cup and see what happens after a while.

When it is in a soap, lotion or other B&B product, the situation is different. I have a feeling that the MSDS promises all sorts of horror if NaOH comes in contact with the skin, but we still use that in a soap.....

Back