Sources of non-traditional oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooldad

Reaction score
Hello,

My first attempt at soapmaking was a simple goatsmilk soap recipe that pretty much contained oils that I could find at my local supermarket - olive, soybean, safflower, almond, etc.

Where can one find things like coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, etc at reasonable prices without having to buy 10 or 20 gallons at a time? Are there regular community sources for these types of soap making ingredients?

kooldad said:
Hello,

My first attempt at soapmaking was a simple goatsmilk soap recipe that pretty much contained oils that I could find at my local supermarket - olive, soybean, safflower, almond, etc.

Where can one find things like coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, etc at reasonable prices without having to buy 10 or 20 gallons at a time? Are there regular community sources for these types of soap making ingredients?

Where are you located, so I can tell you whats close to you.

I have found shea butter, coconut oil and the palm oils in community stores. I found my unrefined shea at an african shop in a nearby town and coconut oil in an indian market and the palm oils in an oriental market!!! It is alot cheaper to buy them online since A) you can get everything in one spot and B) there's no driving around!! It may take a few days to arrive but it's worth the wait!!! Someone suggested I try http://www.suppliersbystate.com to find a company that sold and i found one just 45 minutes away from me!!! Good luck!!

smellitlikeitis said:
Where are you located, so I can tell you whats close to you.

Thanks for helping me out. I'm located in Cary, NC which is just southwest of Raleigh.

While they don't sell small quantities of oils and butters, Columbus Foods is many soapiers #1 choice, me included! The smallest quantity you can buy is 1 gallon of most of their oils. Mike is a seasoned soap maker himself, and knows his oils and provides excellent customer service and speedy delivery! I bought 5 gallons of oils a week ago from CF, and the oils were delivered to my door before my credit card was charged for the transaction!!! I do buy my Coconut Oil, Canola Oil and regular Safflower at Wal-Mart, but everything else, Mike! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
While they don't sell small quantities of oils and butters, Columbus Foods is many soapiers #1 choice, me included! The smallest quantity you can buy is 1 gallon of most of their oils. Mike is a seasoned soap maker himself, and knows his oils and provides excellent customer service and speedy delivery! I bought 5 gallons of oils a week ago from CF, and the oils were delivered to my door before my credit card was charged for the transaction!!! I do buy my Coconut Oil, Canola Oil and regular Safflower at Wal-Mart, but everything else, Mike! 8)

Paul, I'm looking for a good source for lye. I know you buy yours in bulk at a good price. If possible I'm looking for a local supplier to shave on shipping costs. I live in an agricultural area and wondered if caustic soda is used in that industry.

I get my soy and olive oil at Costco at a good price and my coconut oil from WalMart for less than $1.50/lb. which compares favorably with specialty suppliers when you consider shipping.

Hi Dan! Hey your TOG Cutter ships out tomorrow morning. I was waiting for an upgrade on new parts for my TOG 8 Wire Cutters and yours will be the first one with the improved tighter tension keys!
You know, I bought my lye from a chemical supplier before leaving Florida. They supplied swimming pool chemicals, which sodium hydroxide is still used. Knowing I would be going back to Missouri where a lot of meth is produced, I bought 2--50 pound bags. It was very reasonable that way. Online, AAA Chemicals sells for a decent price, but not nearly as good. Boyer Corp still sells lye, but you have to call their "800" number and place an order. Check out AAA here:

http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/30-pounds- ... droxi.html

Thanks Paul. I'm really looking forward to using the cutter.

I'll try local pool supply folks for prices. Shipping costs really take a bite.

I actually buy my lye at Ace Hardware. They are the only place in town I've found that still sells 100% lye. Comes in a 1 pound plastic jar for just a few dollars. I'm not a big time soap maker, just getting started, and that 1 pound makes about 4 batches for me. I'm sure if I really get into this I'll be looking for a larger supply.

Back