Source for Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean

Reaction score
I am looking for a source to purchase small amounts of palm oil. I have looked at Wal Mart and my grocery store, but have not seen any. Where do you all get yours when you are only needing small amounts.
Thanks
Jean

I get mine at my local Kroger. It's a 24 oz tub of Spectrum (brand name) organic all veggie shortning. It's in the 'health food' section of the store. I pay $5.15 for the tub. I have found that not all Kroger stores have it, though!

I have also seen the same brand at Whole Foods for $6.98 a tub!!!

Look around your grocery stores for 'organic all veggie shortning' and then check labels for ingredients...it's usually palm oil!

Hope that helped!

~Becky

TurbidBlue said:
Look around your grocery stores for 'organic all veggie shortening' and then check labels for ingredients...it's usually palm oil!

~Becky

If your buying a product that has shortening on the label I would read the ingredient list first to make sure. Shortening usually contains more than one type of oil, and if your going to replace this type of "shortening" for palm oil it could really throw off your SAP numbers that are needed for determining the amount of lye that is needed as well as the quality of the finished bar of soap. (You would get a softer bar of soap and you may not be happy with the end results.)

Shortening is usually made up of soybean oil and cottonseed oil. When you ask the company they will also mention that it has a little coconut or palm but I can't remember which off the top of my head. But it's not enough to consider replacing it with palm oil in a recipe.

soap_lady said:
TurbidBlue said:
Look around your grocery stores for 'organic all veggie shortening' and then check labels for ingredients...it's usually palm oil!

~Becky

If your buying a product that has shortening on the label I would read the ingredient list first to make sure. Shortening usually contains more than one type of oil, and if your going to replace this type of "shortening" for palm oil it could really throw off your SAP numbers that are needed for determining the amount of lye that is needed as well as the quality of the finished bar of soap. (You would get a softer bar of soap and you may not be happy with the end results.)

Shortening is usually made up of soybean oil and cottonseed oil. When you ask the company they will also mention that it has a little coconut or palm but I can't remember which off the top of my head. But it's not enough to consider replacing it with palm oil in a recipe.

You are absolutely right!!! :) I should have been a little more clear. :p The 'organic all veggie shortning' that I purchase lists the ingedients as palm oil and nothing else. That's why I mentioned checking the label for ingredients! :wink:

Latest posts

Back