Sour Dough Bread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@Misschief, I used to make sour dough bread. Then I started having trouble with recurring yeast infections. A friend told me it was the yeast spores that had gotten loose in the refrigerator. I thought that was silly, but used up all the starter (coming from a "waste not, want not" family). Then I thoroughly cleaned out the refrigerator, including throwing out all condiments, etc. I stopped having problems. Perhaps it was a coincidence.
Have you ever heard of this issue with keeping sour dough starter? If not, maybe, I'll give it a try again.

@Misschief, I used to make sour dough bread. Then I started having trouble with recurring yeast infections. A friend told me it was the yeast spores that had gotten loose in the refrigerator. I thought that was silly, but used up all the starter (coming from a "waste not, want not" family). Then I thoroughly cleaned out the refrigerator, including throwing out all condiments, etc. I stopped having problems. Perhaps it was a coincidence.
Have you ever heard of this issue with keeping sour dough starter? If not, maybe, I'll give it a try again.
I have to say I've never heard of that issue before and I've been making sourdough off and on since the mid 70's. When I refrigerate my starter (there's always a jar or two of discard in there), I put a proper lid on the jar, which should contain it.

I have to say I've never heard of that issue before and I've been making sourdough off and on since the mid 70's. When I refrigerate my starter (there's always a jar or two of discard in there), I put a proper lid on the jar, which should contain it.
Well then, it was probably a strange coincidence. I think I'll try it again. There are some breads I enjoy that are made with sour dough starter.

Back