Sorta Masterbatching?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question for the group! (I THINK I know the answer, but I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure!!!)
On Sunday I am making 5 different specially molded soaps (most of them being 6- cavity)
I am using the EXACT same recipe (percent of oils & amount of lye and water based on each recipe) for each of them, but of course none of them are exactly the same size.
Here we go.... can I measure out my Lye and Water for each one and combine it together? Then on Sunday, measure from the Big Bucket (stirred of course) the amount of water/lye needed for each individual mold recipe?
I *think* this is similar to Master-Batching, but I think with that technique you use equal parts water & lye, the add the extra water necessary at time of soaping. (I don't want to do that...so would my technique work?)
Thank you SOOOOOO much! ❤
Meribeth

You can masterbatch your lye at any concentration you like, including the exact concentration for your recipe. The most important thing is to keep it covered tightly and don’t leave it open to the air any longer than you must. Have fun - sounds like a great soapy day 😁

Here we go.... can I measure out my Lye and Water for each one and combine it together? Then on Sunday, measure from the Big Bucket (stirred of course) the amount of water/lye needed for each individual mold recipe?
Yes you can, but I can give you a much simpler way. Just add up your total Oil weight for all five batches, put it in your Soap Calculator, then make a single batch of Lye Solution (and Oils). That's kind of how I got into Master Batching...I wanted to make seven different soaps...different colorants, different soap, different molds. Now I just made a huge batch of soap...I put my Regular Recipes into SoapCalc...added up how much the various molds held, playing around with the Oil Weight until my Total Batch Weight equaled what I needed.

You can masterbatch your lye at any concentration you like, including the exact concentration for your recipe. The most important thing is to keep it covered tightly and don’t leave it open to the air any longer than you must. Have fun - sounds like a great soapy day 😁
Super!! ..and I WILL keep it covered just as soon as it cools down some. I don't think it would be good to cover it when it's still 200°!!! THANK YOU so much!!!

Yes you can, but I can give you a much simpler way. Just add up your total Oil weight for all five batches, put it in your Soap Calculator, then make a single batch of Lye Solution (and Oils). That's kind of how I got into Master Batching...I wanted to make seven different soaps...different colorants, different soap, different molds. Now I just made a huge batch of soap...I put my Regular Recipes into SoapCalc...added up how much the various molds held, playing around with the Oil Weight until my Total Batch Weight equaled what I needed.
Wow! I didn't even think about doing that! Almost seems like cheating!
Thank you!!!

Super!! ..and I WILL keep it covered just as soon as it cools down some. I don't think it would be good to cover it when it's still 200°!!! THANK YOU so much!!!
I actually cover mine when it's super hot, with the lid just barely cracked open. That way, most of the condensation drips back down into the container.

Thank you..
I didn't think that would be a good thing.... now I know!!!
When I Master Batch my Lye, I make it in two large containers that I set in the sink, fill with cold water and cover with a glass cutting board that I have. The containers have spouts so that heat can escape, but most of the steam condenses back into water and back in the bowl. After about an hour, I use a funnel and pour into a one gallon HDPE jug with warnings written in Sharpie and tighten the lid and store it in my soap cart (aka rolling kitchen island). You can also use the HDPE jugs that liquid laundry soap comes, just make sure you use regular jugs and not the ones with the spigots. You want to keep the spout and lid clean as the Lye will react with the carbon dioxide in the air and crystalize and you won’t get as tight of a seal. Properly sealed Lye Solution kept at room temp can last for months.

I have a question for the group! (I THINK I know the answer, but I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure!!!)
On Sunday I am making 5 different specially molded soaps (most of them being 6- cavity)
I am using the EXACT same recipe (percent of oils & amount of lye and water based on each recipe) for each of them, but of course none of them are exactly the same size.
I *think* this is similar to Master-Batching, but I think with that technique you use equal parts water & lye, the add the extra water necessary at time of soaping. (I don't want to do that...so would my technique work?)
Thank you SOOOOOO much! ❤
Meribeth
Thank you ALL for your suggestions! I made all 5 soaps on Sunday and they came out beautifully! Thank you... THANK YOU!!

Back